Custom Bass Build

Schmidt_Rubin

Mar 18, 2006
Cape Cod
www.myspace.com
I won't bore everyone with endless photos :) but here's two and I'll update the thread again when it's complete. The top is Tigerstripe Myrtlewood, body is Swamp ash, Bubinga/Flame Maple neck with a Macassar Ebony fretboard. The hardware will be a Hipshot trem bridge, Hipshot tuners, SD Basslines P/J config. and a Bartolini preamp. It's being built in Sacramento.

jeffbodyuncut1.jpg

tigermyrtle002a-1.jpg

Ok, one more pic of the fretboard wood :)
basswood1.jpg

Beautiful looking top wood there. Fretted or fretless and string count?

Jim

What I don't understand in this project is,if you have the opportunity,and the knowledge to build a custom bass,why are you making an "oh-so-boring" stratocaster looking axe? You should give a much more exciting look to this guitar,something that's never done a gazillion times before! Isn't it?:rolleyes:

What I don't understand in this project is,if you have the opportunity,and the knowledge to build a custom bass,why are you making an "oh-so-boring" stratocaster looking axe? You should give a much more exciting look to this guitar,something that's never done a gazillion times before! Isn't it?:rolleyes:

Because I wanted a custom P-bass, there are lots of possibilities with shapes but this is what I wanted. Crazy shapes don't impress me.

Looks similar to an early G&L sickle headstock crossed with an Ibanez geetar.
MaidensXmas046.jpg

Jim

As a side project I just coated the fretboard of my 6 string fretless with 10 coats of spar poly and about 10 coats of turtle wax. It looks better than what the photos show. It was bare wood before and wanted to coat it before the board got too chewed up.
6str008.jpg

6str006.jpg