Dan in the spotlight

Sep 14, 2007
Sweden
I´ve been thinking of this for a while.How well do you think Dan would do in a contest like Idol?Yeah,it´s a shitty show i know but it´s quite fun when you think of all the great singers that exists beyond the mainstream community,dan being one of them of course.
I think he definitively would make the finals in such a contest.
How well do you think he would do?

hehe yeah! but the problem is he would have to sing some shitty backstreet boys songs or something like that to win the main audience

hehe yeah! but the problem is he would have to sing some shitty backstreet boys songs or something like that to win the main audience

That´s not true, in Finland this year a metal-singer won, and I don´t mean "metal" like wannabe-Stone Sour, but for real ;D
He did Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Kilpi, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Led Zeppelin and such. It was quite entertaining =)

That´s not true, in Finland this year a metal-singer won, and I don´t mean "metal" like wannabe-Stone Sour, but for real ;D
He did Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Kilpi, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Led Zeppelin and such. It was quite entertaining =)

He can sing the Maiden, Stratovarius, and other high-pitched singer material well enough... but holy shit, does that type BUTCHER things like Dio and Deep Purple. No soul at all, and Ari's got a deadly, deadly accent that can kill English lyrics dead at 20 paces. Local "sensations" Sturm und Drang have the exact same problem, and my opinion of them is further destroyed by seeing them live last spring and watching them fuck up their own songs AFTER being a hit on TV and such.

"Sturm und Drang" are still kids to me, I haven´t listened much. There seems to be a "trend" for mega-young hyped bands, one in each country, Germany´s got their own, too.

As for Finnish Idols winner, I liked his Deep Purple-cover a lot actually ;D
I noticed the accent-problem, too (who wouldn´t), but that´s nothing that could not be fixed with some training.
When did he sing Dio? Must have missed that :D

For anyone who wants to check out what I was talking about and does not have Finnish TV:

Ari Koivunen - Perfect Strangers / Deep Purple
Ari Koivunen - The Evil That Men Do / Iron Maiden
Ari Koivunen - Here I Go Again / Whitesnake
Ari Koivunen - I Remember You / Skid Row
Ari Koivunen - Lai Lai Hei / Ensiferum

Ari - several live vids from concerts - own songs

But even that could not beat Dag in rockunderwear :)

Thanks fireangel for the several links, it will be interresting to see this kind of music tv.
I'm from France, and the kind of program is more based on hiphop/rnb/rap music :cry:
Sometimes we have one or two jazzman for judges, and this is a chance to ear good voices but it's too scarce. Especially those who have the soul with the voice, very scarce...

I've just seen the videos, this little guy kick ass! nothing to do with french singers who say they are rockers! by the way, i've ever seen his 'hear my call' clip but don't remember where...:s