Dan: Orchid/Morningrise Q's for my degree

embrace.random

is on a boat.
May 12, 2009
England
Hey Dan, I couldn't think of any other way to try and contact you so here goes.

I'm Matt, a final year Music Technology degree student in the UK and my final project is related to progressive metal production/engineering. I was just wondering about your work on Opeth's Orchid and Morningrise albums. I know you're a busy guy but I'd be very, very grateful if you could help me out. I know it was a while ago, but any information regarding the engineering would be great;

1. In as much detail as you like, what engineering technology were you working with on both the Orchid and Morningrise albums? This could be anything you remember; any aspects of the engineering side of production used.

2. Would you say the technology used for Orchid/Morningise was limited, in comparison to what was available at the time?

3. Would you say you were limited in any way, maybe due to budget constraints (due to Orchid and Morningrise being Opeth's first two albums) or any other reason?

4. Do you use digital methods over analogue methods nowadays?

5. Would you agree that digital equipment is more accessible and relatively cheaper than analogue equipment, and therefore easier to acquire higher quality equipment?

Basically, I'm under the impression that, in a production sense, these early works were limited in some way or another, in comparison to your more recent works (and Opeth's more recent productions), which obviously also reflect the experience and success gained over the years.

Anyway, I hope you can answer with any amount of detail.

Thanks,
Matt

Dan responded to a set of questions from me that were pretty similar a while ago for a school project, it took a little while though, so hope you have a little time to spare. Good luck. :headbang: