Danes vs. Swedes vs. Norwegians--- who were the best Vikings?

(We won't have a separate category for the Icelanders since they were originally Norwegian, after all, and didn't really go viking like their counterparts eastward did, having developed a more settled society).

Let's see... the Danes would be the early favourite, since they probably were more destructive than the others, especially in England. But they faded quickly, being converted to Christianity almost entirely by 1000.

The Swedes are interesting because they remained pagan for so long-- some even into the early 12th century. They were excellent explorers and tradesmen, but simply not as violent as the others (in relative terms, of course--- they terrorised many primitives along the Baltic).

The Norwegians were utterly crazed warriors. Almost all Vikings who used axes in combat were from Norway- insofar as archaeological evidence allows. Axes are slightly cooler than swords and spears, so that wins them some points. The Norwegians were the best boatbuilders and sailors of the lot-- witness the Gokstad and Oseberg ships for but two examples. The Norwegians remained pagan for a while- not so long as the Swedes, but still respectably so.
The Norwegians may be said to be, if not the bravest of the three, then at least the most pioneering and adventurous-- sailing to Iceland, Greenland, and then what would later become America is astonishing. All the more so when one considers the living arrangements-- sleeping in close quarters with men who looked and acted meaner than Grutle Kjelson for months and living on smoked herring.

The winners------- the Norwegians.

The Norwegians were extremely brutal, but because of the fact that i am Irish i'm gonna have to go for the Celts!! long blond hair, tankard of mead in one hand and a battle axe in the other. It doesn't get much better than that

AAAARGH VIKING WARRIORS PREPARE FOR BATTLE AAARGH!!!!!

yea. this thread just kinda makes me want to listen to einherjer.

I'm 3/4 Norwegian, so I'll give it to the Norwegians. Second place goes to the Swedes, because my gandma's dad was from Varmland. Third goes to the Danes, who have something stuck in their throats.

Here in Iceland you would think this was the only place vikings ever existed. But a shithole like this place has to have some kind of tourist draw.

Question, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark are there still viking remnants around? In Iceland they have some cave paintings..that is it. Do yall have ships or monuments that still exist?

I'm Danish so I'm very biased of course. But let's not forget that the Viking language was called Danish tongue. So I think that it is clear to say that the Danes were the best Vikings :tickled:

Nah We were all equals in our own way the other. Our languages has changed a lot since then. But a large part of our vocabulary still has some of the old words.

One of the best examples is the word for Christmas which is Jul.

Jul was once something that the Viking celebrated but then it was converted into the Christian celebration of Christmas. The same name was still kept.

in terms of brutality the norwegians wld definitely succeed the swedes but i think that the swedes were more towards their beliefs and expertise...a kind of longer-lasting viking maybe..i think the swedes lasted longer n thus take the win

Dave The Templar said:
The Norwegians were extremely brutal, but because of the fact that i am Irish i'm gonna have to go for the Celts!! long blond hair, tankard of mead in one hand and a battle axe in the other. It doesn't get much better than that

The Irish were Gaels not Celts. I'm not going into the detail but if your from Dublin you should know Mael Mordha. http://www.maelmordha.com
Rob has writings on it that explains a lot of stuff and the history.

As for me, I'll pick the Gaels on the same basis of bein Irish.

Although, the Gaels and Celts are automatically disqualified, due to their "non-Scandinavian" status. Granted, a good number of Vikings settled in Dublin, but has no bearing on the Gaels nor the Celts.

Indeed they did. And unfortunatly for them, the work they left behind gets built on rather than preserved. Stupid greedy Irish.

Well, since Gaels and Celts are disqualified, I'm going to go for which ever Vikings landed in Dublin and gave us a bit of history.

I'm Danish, but I think that both we and the swedes suck. Icelandics and norwegians are cool. But I still haven't forgiven them for discovering America. We could have done without that.

Rivfadír said:
I'm Danish, but I think that both we and the swedes suck. Icelandics and norwegians are cool. But I still haven't forgiven them for discovering America. We could have done without that.
yes we cld all agree with that...u must be psychic..

Wow. Your knowledge of American history is quite impressive. The state of education in Norway must be top notch!!

Evil Dead said:
Here in Iceland you would think this was the only place vikings ever existed. But a shithole like this place has to have some kind of tourist draw.

Question, in Norway/Sweden/Denmark are there still viking remnants around? In Iceland they have some cave paintings..that is it. Do yall have ships or monuments that still exist?
I suppose you live in the Keflavik area, yes that's kind of a shithole.. but there is abundance of beautiful places beside that place IMO.
Never heard of cave paintings here dude... o_O just some remnannts of houses and graves(weapons, clothes, jewelry etc.) and houses for livestock. Some boats too but not decorated ones.
Leifur Eiríkson the son of Eiríkur rauði(Eric the red who "discovered" Greenland) was born in Iceland and thus should be considered as an Icelander. He "discovered" America" (of course native americans were there way before)