Dark Metal

TheBahggs

WAT
Feb 21, 2008
Waterford, MI
Some bands such as Samael and Rotting Christ have been referred to as 'Dark Metal', I was wondering if there were any other bands who fit into this genre, or if it was just a synonym for Black Metal.

I used to think there's such a thing as dark metal, but there isn't really. It's just another product of overcategorization. A lot of old-school death metal and black metal is ominous, for instance. Why the extra tag?

I used to think there's such a thing as dark metal, but there isn't really. It's just another product of overcategorization. A lot of old-school death metal and black metal is ominous, for instance. Why the extra tag?

dark metal = something like black metal, which just lacks that whole raw creepy atmosphere devilish cries Xasthur type style.

'overcategorization' is great if you happen to be a fan of certain subgenres, and not whole genres (filtering out 'celtic folk metal' and 'troll metal' from 'folk metal' is one I rather like--it would be annoying to me to not have those more specific categorizations with which to pinpoint exactly what I want.)