__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Dark Sanctuary – Exaudi Vocem Meam I
Peaceville Records – CDVILED219 – 11 June 2008
By Russell Garwood

DS1.jpg

With Exaudi Vocem Meam part I Peaceville reissue another album from this French ethereal/neo-classical troupe. 2000's De Lumière Et D'obscurité featured in the last Peaceville just-browsing, and we have now reached 2005 with this reissue. In fact the band have only released one album since Exaudi… originally surfaced. The music has become considerably more polished in the five year gap to this release, and feels like Dark Sanctuary have found more of an identity. While the Dead Can Dance and other 4AD references are undoubtedly still present (and often in the forefront) there is a little more variety to the music. A case in point are the slowly building crescendos and repeated motifs which crop up occasionally throughout the eleven tracks, that ring of post-rock, while a martial feel is introduced by a marching snare on Memento Mei.

As is to be expected from previous works the lush orchestrations and delicately layered female singing make for a strongly atmospheric release, yet the most lulling passages are at times juxtaposed by deep male recitations, lending a rough edge to proceedings. Ultimately this is a well-executed exercise in balance: Dark Sanctuary have managed to grow, with new elements and stronger identity, yet keep the key elements in their sound. Great to see, and this is a very pleasant listen indeed.

Official Dark Sanctuary Website
Official Dark Sanctuary Myspace
Official Peaceville Records Website

When the right kind of mood hits me, I could see myself listening to this for hours on end. And since I'm the kind of guy who listens to music when I do just about everything, that's definitely a high compliment.