Darkest Era - The Last Caress of Light

HakuchoCygnus

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2010
Here's my review of the debut release from Metal Blade newcomers, Darkest Era. You can also catch my interview with Ade Mulgrew (guitarist) from the band over here.
http://metalmelt.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/an-interview-with-darkest-era/

My review:

'It feels tempting to string up comparisons to the current crop of neo-traditional metal of late with this album; yet at the same time it would be unfair to Irish newcomers Darkest Era. Not only do they stand out from the rest of the crowd, but they also deliver a consistent passion and aura of epic fables on debut release ‘The Last Caress of Light‘.

Similarities with viking-era Bathory can be heard throughout the music; and while that might be enough to gage audience attention, it is still not accurate enough to describe the record. Though an epic atmosphere runs as strong as it did for Bathory, Darkest Era opt for the route of Celtic mythology and folklore much like fellow countrymen Mael Mórdha, Cruachan and even Primordial. Yet without necessarily wearing out the same lyrical direction as these bands – a drawback with many on the Norse mythological side – the group manage to steer clear of this in approaching the main template of mixing metal with Irish folk melodies...'

Read the rest at Me(n)tal-Meltdown