DARKESTRAH - Totally awesome pagan/folk/black metal band from Kyrgyzstan

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
This is an insanely cool band, hailing from the grim steppes of Kyrgyzstan. Incredible mixture of black/pagan metal and traditional folk music from that country.

On "Sary Oy", their latest album, Darkestrah use traditional instruments from Kyrgyzstan, such as: Kyl-Kyjak, Komuz, Temir-Komuz and Sygyt.

Marksveld, spaffe, Erik, Nicodemix - ah fuck it, ALL OF YOU should check out the samples that can be found on their website ( http://www.darkestrah.vze.com/ ). "Jashil Oy" and "Kyzil Oy" are especially breathtaking.

Sary-Oy%201.jpg

They are pretty good. I've listened to that album Sary Oy? a few times. It has some really excellent parts, but also some boring parts as well. They use some pretty cool instruments too.

Wow, I totally forgot about checking these guys out. Now I have and they rock. The newest album reminds me of the first Dawn album and the band Horns of Valere.

Can't go wrong with wind samples in the intro. Got to get me a whole album.

Anyone knows Arkona from Russia? They play some kind of folk metal as well and are supposedly extremely awesome at it.

Ellestin said:

Anyone knows Arkona from Russia? They play some kind of folk metal as well and are supposedly extremely awesome at it.

If they are half as good as SunChariot, I'd be pleased.

lol, they're using an instrument that everyone laught at in Quebec... don't know its name in english though.

But the rest is excellent

On the topic of Sunchariot, they are great but their album wears VERY thin eventually. I can't stand to even listen to it anymore, I guess it just lost its magic...

Ellestin said:

Yeah I know of Arkona. I thought about getting an album of theirs but haven't yet. I've been listening to a good bit of Russian stuff lately so I'll probably get it.

New album out... Manas.

The album is based on “Manas Destanı” a Kyrgyzian epic poem, one of the longest epics in the world, and tells the ancient story of Manas, a young warrior who gathers the remnants of Kyrgyzian people, defeated and exiled from their native lands by its enemies, into one strong tribe. Manas, a paragon nomadic warlord, and his host break the yoke of enemy hordes and lead their people to strength and freedom.