Dave Murray is an awesome guitar player

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
It's interesting that when the topic of great metal guitar players is discussed, very few people mention Dave Murray.

I was listening to Somewhere in Time yesterday and this guy is SO good, he may not have the writing skils of Smith or maybe even Gers, but his solos and riffs are some of the best in the history of metal.

He's a perfect example of a very talented guitar player who doesn't need to show off, he's one of the best in my opinion.

Esteban said:
It's interesting that when the topic of great metal guitar players is discussed, very few people mention Dave Murray.

I was listening to Somewhere in Time yesterday and this guy is SO good, he may not have the writing skils of Smith or maybe even Gers, but his solos and riffs are some of the best in the history of metal.

He's a perfect example of a very talented guitar player who doesn't need to show off, he's one of the best in my opinion.

:OMG: you just realized this? I've always considered him a great guitarist. People are just busy ramming dildo's into their rectums and saying Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Van Halen are the greatest guitarists ever.

Agreed, naturally.

Although I'm not sure I like his style as much as Adrian Smith, who I view in a similar light. Gers isn't rated as highly by me, as he just seems to lack both the natural flow and the ability to write well voiced leads like the other two.

But yeah, Dave rules.

High On Maiden said:
Agreed, naturally.

Although I'm not sure I like his style as much as Adrian Smith, who I view in a similar light. Gers isn't rated as highly by me, as he just seems to lack both the natural flow and the ability to write well voiced leads like the other two.

But yeah, Dave rules.
Smith is a better song writer but his playing is different, IMO it's like comparing Ritchie Blackmore with David Gilmore, both very talented but different styles, and Murray's style allows him to show more of his abilities.

My only problem with Gers is that when he plays fast he gets sloppy, especially live.

:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Iron Maiden of course !!!
but yeah , i 200% agree with you guys...the "Caught Somewhere In Time" solo is really amazing...as well as the one from "Sign Of The Cross" of "Rock In Rio"...
and talking about shred...i don't think that solos like the ones that Yngwie Malmsteen does would sound good in Iron Maiden anyway..

reflection said:
but yeah , i 200% agree with you guys...the "Caught Somewhere In Time" solo is really amazing...as well as the one from "Sign Of The Cross" of "Rock In Rio"...
and talking about shred...i don't think that solos like the ones that Yngwie Malmsteen does would sound good in Iron Maiden anyway..
Yeah, the solo on Sign of the Cross is awesome

Dave goes hard, anyone here seen the rock in rio gig? in number of the beast ( i think its in number of the beast) dave is playing a solo and somewhere in it he bends the g string on the 17th (ish) fret up to where the a should be, (ouch) sounded cool.

Up The Irons.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. He has seemingly such a light touch and excellent control. Trying to do some of the runs he does...I fail miserably. I did learn what might be helping him past his awesome natural ability. He plays very, very light guage strings. As in .08-.38!!!! Helps his hammer-on/pull-offs with his lightning left hand.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times (and the rest of the band). Not a rock star among them. Dave's just as you've seen in interiviews, very polite, always smiling and a bit shy. All of them are really, just quiet English guys (except Nicko he's pretty funny and more outgoing). It's nice to have the combo of a legendary guitar player and not the ego or eccentricity of an Eddie or Yngwie.

Starbreaker said:
I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times (and the rest of the band). Not a rock star among them. Dave's just as you've seen in interiviews, very polite, always smiling and a bit shy. All of them are really, just quiet English guys (except Nicko he's pretty funny and more outgoing). It's nice to have the combo of a legendary guitar player and not the ego or eccentricity of an Eddie or Yngwie.
He seems like such a nice guy, if I had that kind of talent i'd probably be a prick like malmsteen, well... less than malmsteen

Dave is definitely one of the best out there! Maiden fucking KILL live! They've been one of my favourite bands for over 20 years now (HOLY SHIT, I'm OLD! :OMG: HA! :tickled: )

He has a lot of taste in his leads. Very well executed and memorable. It's pretty awesome when you key on the leads in a song because they have such great flow and melody!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: