David Gilmour - "On an Island" - opinions?

Stimuli

Crazy Bastard
Jun 16, 2005
Toronto
Hey all, I'm surprised nothing has been posted yet regarding Mr. Gilmour's new release. I was at HMV right when it opened to pick up this gem. It truly is a fantastic album in every possible way. Lyrics, vocals, songwriting, trippyness, insanely emotive lead playing - its all there.

I had a hard time believing that anything was really gonna match up to Synchestra any time soon this year, at least until more Tool was released. But I have to say, that On An Island is arguably much better than Synchestra (depending on what you prefer) and that every other release expected for 2006 has a high bar to match indeed. Furthermore, I can't really say anything about the SONGS, but it is my opinion that this album easily eclipses anything the members of Floyd have done MUSICALLY - a very mature and skillfull record - much of the music reminds me of early floyd meets the ultramelodic side of Steve Vai.

So anyways, what do you people think about this new album? I highly recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree or Opeth...

easily a 9/10 (MAYBE EVEN 10/10) ALBUM.

I got it!
Very nice indeed, always been a huge fan of david gilmour!
12 years have past since his last works with Pink Floyd, but I think its pretty good stuff, dave deserves few more jetplanes since he only got half a dozen! ;)

His soloing is definitely as great as ever. For me, it was the high quality of his vocals which really surprised me. He sounds great!

Picked this up yesterday. The title track is perfect. Great track !!

The rest of the album has some nice touches here & there. I guess it's kind of subpar to me considering the great guest musicians (Crosby, Nash, Wright) & DG's long hiatus.

Man I wish Floyd would hook-up again.

I downloaded it to check it out. I'm going to buy it this week, I think. It's a good album. It's no Zeppelin album, as far as being that good, but it's defintely worth a listen, and definitely good for a joint.

I got it last week. It's a great album - like slow and laid back Pink Floyd style music...

Perfect music to rest your ears to... after been listening to Deliverace or MAYH.

(Tomorrow I will buy Morrissey's new opus!)

Its a fantastic album!! I listen to it, almost everyday - the whole album in one shot. My favorites are Blue, On an Island, Pocketful of stones and Red sky at Night. And its a trip. I got into it so much, that I am going way back re-visiting Umma gumma, Meddle, Animals and Dark side, watching Live at Pompei again and re-discovering Pink Floyd.