Dead Reckoning deluxe version

Obviously, it became very popular to release record with bonus instrumental versions. Personally, i think Richard and Karl should have done some cover songs, and then release 3cd deluxe version, like DT with their last record.

Obviously, it became very popular to release record with bonus instrumental versions. Personally, i think Richard and Karl should have done some cover songs, and then release 3cd deluxe version, like DT with their last record.

Totally agree with you. While the instrumental versions are an interesting curiosity, it's not enough for me to want to purchase them - quite frankly, I've listened to DT's instrumental version of their album once or twice and that's it.

On top of that, I'm not a fan of special packages released exclusively online - if I were to consider picking this up, I'd want to be able to hold it in my hands.

It's interesting to hear, but what would have been very cool would have been a three-disc version, with the third segment featuring Damian on vocals - especially since he practically made these songs his own on the subsequent tour(s).

That would have been perfect - original vocalist, "new" vocalist, and no vocalist... for those karaoke showers.

Three CD packs, covers, new vocals, and pretty much anything else similar you can think of would be great - but would all take time to record, edit etc.

I guess these instrumental versions would be relatively simple to prepare from the DR files

So surely better something than nothing?

And presumably those that don't want to buy the new relase don't have to. Perhaps that is why it is itunes rather than a disk.

I'm quite tempted - due to excessive playing and poor personal disk handling on my part my DR is nearly worn out in any case.

And the extra additional versions for the price seems pretty reasonable

You can hear a lot more of the instrumental detail on these versions - which is great if you're a nerd like me! :cool:

I do like CDs rather than just a bunch of files though - maybe someone could knock up a cover to download and print like there was for the "Pilot..." single?

[*Fangirl alert*] That said, Threshold could put out a CD of Rich and Karl clearing their throats and I'd probably buy it. [Cancel *Fangirl alert*]

There's more info here: http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=news&id=10975

Supermassive Black Hole digital single? Funny they don't mention that on their website

Instrumental versions can be quite interesting, sometimes you notice new things when you don't pay attention to the vocals and some things you hear for the first time when the vocals are removed. Like on Dream Theater's album, on one song (can't remember what it was) there was a cool guitar thingy hidden behind the vocals and I only noticed it while listening the instrumental version.

If memory serves correctly, SMB was considered as a single at the time of DR but wasn't released due to it being too soon after the Muse version

But now.... if it gets the Threshold name out there then it has to be a good thing. :headbang:

Sooooo... how reliable is that site? Can we really expect something exciting on the 29th?????:loco:

<<
West states: "We often get requests from fans wanting access to instrumental versions of our songs, so after seeing bands like NIGHTWISH and MASTODON release extended versions of their albums with instrumentals included, it seemed logical for THRESHOLD to do the same with &#8220;Dead Reckoning&#8221;. So whether they're being used for karaoke competitions, holiday video soundtracks or just for singing along in the shower, we're happy to make them available."
>>

:D

Three CD packs, covers, new vocals, and pretty much anything else similar you can think of would be great - but would all take time to record, edit etc.

Right, well, what would have been even cooler (and just as cheap), would be to have had a 3rd extra set of tracks as part of this deluxe version, featuring just the isolated vocals on their own, with everything else muted out.

That way - assuming you don't live in a bungalow - you could simultaneously start playing the instrumental version upstairs and the acappella version downstairs. Then by running up and down stairs you could fade between instrumental and vocal solos, as if your whole house was a giant mixing desk.

Plus it would have had the added benefit of being able to be used to get Mac singing over a total maxi rave blast techno stomper, which has been one of my secret fantasies since long before the war.

If memory serves correctly, SMB was considered as a single at the time of DR but wasn't released due to it being too soon after the Muse version

But now.... if it gets the Threshold name out there then it has to be a good thing. :headbang:

Sooooo... how reliable is that site? Can we really expect something exciting on the 29th?????:loco:

i'd say very reliable as it now on the official site:kickass:

Threshold will release their cover of the Muse song Supermassive Black Hole as a digital single on Jan 29 (UK Jan 31, US Feb 2). The single's B-side will be Slipstream (vocoder version), a previously unreleased mix of the opening song from the album Dead Reckoning.

Commented Threshold keyboard player Richard West: "Supermassive Black Hole' was such a huge hit for Muse, it's become a modern classic and it's still in the top ten of the U.K. rock charts after 150 weeks! I hope Muse enjoy Threshold's reworking of their song; we've stayed fairly true to the original but with some added Threshold heaviness."

The cover version was originally released as a bonus track on the special edition digipack version of Dead Reckoning, but has only now been made available as a full digital release.