Dead Soul Tribe - Dead Soul Tribe

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Dead Soul Tribe - Dead Soul Tribe
2002, InsideOut Music

dst_cover.jpg

Honestly I'm not a big fan of progressive rock but there are a few bands in this style I keep my eyes on. Of course the name of Buddy Lackey, presently better known as Devon Graves, whom we already know from the early 90`s progressive band Psychotic Waltz, may make us more interested in a band.

His new band is Dead Soul Tribe but we can consider it is his solo project since he wrote, designed and produced everything on this self-titled album, and beside singing he also handles the rhythm guitar in the band. He composed the kind of progressive music I like. It`s not just playing for their own pleasure, making the music unbelievably complex, as it happens many times with other bands in this genre. While you are listening to their self-titled album, you can sit back and relax, letting your brain and soul enjoy the music and the different moods the albums drifts through. Every song has its own atmosphere created by a talented and passionate musician. Some of them are energetic and some of them sound mysterious but certainly every song will touch you someway and you will want to hear the next one, that might give you the answer of why you would want to hear more and more from this album, from its paranoid and psychedelic sounds to its catchy nature. Sometimes they sound like a 70s progressive band, sometimes they sound like a band from the cosmic future and sometimes it's just modern rock music from the finest. It's a varied, constantly changing album.

`Powertrip` is the most powerful and the strongest track on the album, it simply rolls over you. They used distorted vocals that gives some extra impulse to this song and we can take it as a real power trip to Devon`s new musical world because comparing DST to Psychotic Waltz is pointless. `Coming Down` with the cleaner vocals and with the soft melodies has a haunting atmosphere. It's a nervous song, reaching after you and sticking its melodies in your head. It's also has heavy progressive metal parts creating a dark, fearful feeling. `Anybody There? ` is a short instrumental piece with keyboards and other strange sounds that reminds me of a bit of a movie soundtrack with the its whispered title. We can take this as the intro of `The Haunted`, a stunning song, with interesting noises in the background and with the sharp, rock-ish guitar solos. It is both heavy and catchy at the same time. If you like bass solos, start listening to the album with `The Drowning Machine`. Though it has melancholic lyrics, the music is vivid, focusing on the guitars, `I've given up on life, There's nothing I can do, I'm loosing faith within myself, Loosing faith in you`. `You` has also got the variation in its structure drifting back and forth through the song. With `You` they found the balance between progressive rock and progressive metal making it a really enjoyable track to listen to. `Under The Weight Of My Stone` is an unplugged song where we can simply enjoy Devon`s great voice. `Once` is a slower, softer tune with hidden strength and power in the music. `One Bullet` starts with a heartbeat like sound. Basically it would be a soft song broken with really heavy guitars and with vibrating keyboards. This is the strangest song on the album, giving the feeling like there is more than one personality fighting in our heads. The sound of the flute and the easy rhythms of `Empty` make it playful. `Cry For Tomorrow` contains vibrating progressive rock music with the already recognizable DST guitar riffs. It's a strong, rolling song again. `Into…` is a short intro to the last song `…Into The Spiral Cathedral`. This is really the end of the album, calming down, giving a vision that we have arrived to the finish line, we have found the questions to all of our answers. It's not an easy song. I dare to say it is the most progressive part of the album, you can't get into it suddenly. You need to feel this song.

The cover and the layout artwork is very nice, fitting to the overall concept of the album. I specially like the last picture in the booklet.

Tracklist:
1. Powertrip
2. Coming Down
3. Anybody There
4. The Haunted
5. The Drowning Machine
6. You
7. Under the Weight of My Stone
8. Once
9. One Bullet
10. Empty
11. Cry for Tomorrow