dealing with Drop A

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
so I just started a new project tonight and the band insists on playing in Drop A. to me, Drop A makes guitars sound like they are on their last leg and the bass is just farting out... it sucks.

what are you guys doing to combat this? I mean, I've heard a few bands that play in Drop A and sound balls to the wall, I'm just no good at making it happen.

String choice is very important! I played with these in Drop A# (close enough to A) because it helped give clarity to notes I was playing. With older strings low tunings can sound dreadful because it gets very muddy. I used them on a Squier Telecaster, though...

255056_10150197476908095_506303094_6935406_8199766_n.jpg

These work for me, but keep in mind when you go to a lower tuning you are going to need your guitar set properly.
I use these on my 6 string tuned to Drop A
x02_145835.jpg

And these on my 7 string in Drop A
x02_145785.jpg

This was recorded in drop A on a 6 string:
http://mankindwillfuckingburn.bandcamp.com

You just need VERY thick strings. So far all of the suggestions are thick enough to make it playable, but not thick enough to make it sound good. With very thick strings the tone really starts to come through in an awesome way. We used a 68 for the lowest string on guitar (could have gone for a 72), and a 135 on bass (wanted to go a little heavier on this as well but this is all we could get).

Drop a needs at least a .60 I use a .70 if you don't you will find it Impossible to double track without phase issues because the strong will be wobbling. Get them to have a pro set up their guitars too, you'd be surprised how many guitarists know nothing about intonation and action.

what about .72?

I haven't tried it but I think it would be good. I've been wanting to get some because I play with a .68 and since I like to pick very hard it seems like a slightly thicker string would hold the note better. There is such a thing as having too thick of strings for a tuning, but I don't think a .72 would be.

Best off with a baritone guitar once you get that low imo but with thick strings it's still do-able on a 25.5" guitar. Currently going 13-68 on my guitar which is sitting in drop A. But I still want to get a 27/28" Agile in the future.

4996-large.jpg

I use these on a 6 string Les Paul in Drop C. Then the high E is a spare in case I break a high E on my Strat in standard :)

I think they'd work pretty well in A, although I haven't tried it. So of course I'm giving you advice based on absolutely nothing.

I got a 22" (with jumbos) perfectly intonated with DR-Strings 13-65 to drop-A
Nothing mushy or out of tune.

No problems with a 25.5" as long as strings are thick enough.

I ordered ernies 13-72, I think they will be perfect for that tuning.

guitar setup, strings, and the GUITAR PLAYER are the most important components to drop A

25% guitar setup, 25% strings, 50% guitar player

if the guy plays like a dick, it will sound like dick

guitar setup, strings, and the GUITAR PLAYER are the most important components to drop A

25% guitar setup, 25% strings, 50% guitar player

if the guy plays like a dick, it will sound like dick

100% this, I've only had to deal with really drop tuned stuff twice. First band was F#, I asked them to leave me the guitar over night. I went mental on the setup and had like a .72 on the low string. It was a baritone scale 7 and it was fine. The guy knew how to play and guitar tracking was super easy.

Most recently I recorded a band that tuned to G#, the guitarist were playing on standard scale 6 strings and the heaviest string we could get on was I think a .58 and it was a fucking nightmare. The guitarist was picking weirdly and kind of digging under the strings, almost every chord was out of tune. I ended up captain midnighting this one.