__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Dean Roberts – Be Mine Tonight
Kranky Records – krank063 – November 17th 2003
By Russell Garwood

krank063.jpg

“Be Mine Tonight”, the work of Thela’s Dean Roberts, comprises four stripped-down rock/pop tracks, similar in many respects to some of his label-mates. The meandering songs were written through improvisation and “electronic strategies”, and feature contributions from Roberts’ Italian friends Valerio Tricoli, Christian Alati, Giuseppe Ielasi, and Antonio Arrabbito. This mixture between organic and electronic is far more subtle than many of the bands signed to Kranky. The loosely structured music makes use of silence and repetition, with a main theme cyclically developed beneath fragile, quiet crooning. Slow acoustic guitars provide laid-back melodies, while subtle layering and prominent bass give the songs more texture. The drums fit well with the quiet music, often relying on brushes, and occasional raw/loud bars and accents keep you on your toes.

This is a very relaxing release, with gentle songs, slow development and a vulnerable feel to it, making for a likeable set of songs. Honest, clean production sounds like you are in the room with Dean and co., and the sometimes-progressive structures help create a more complex, if minimalistic, collection. While this could limit its potential audience, those who like quiet, experimental acoustic rock will enjoy “Be Mine Tonight”, and it is well worth checking out for fans of the label’s other bands.

Official Kranky Website