Death Breath

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=55979

"Inspired by the recent resurgence in the classic old-school death metal sound and the book "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore", DEATH BREATH is said to be "the ultimate tribute band to all that was rough, raw and wretched in extreme metal.""

Nicke Andersson, Jorgen Sandström, Fred Estby, Scott Carlson...

I guess Bloodbath imploded just in time.

*sigh*

I disagree.

This new band has nothing to do with the second wave in Scandinavia, especially bands like Demigod who were modestly respected but overshadowed by their peers in their day.

Death Breath have, as far as I'm concerned, successfully managed to capture the vibe that made early death metal so vital. While there is a case for just listening to "Severed Survival" or "Scream Bloody Gore" instead, why not also enjoy some genuine old hands going back to their roots?

Because
a) It's anything but 'genuine'
b) It's a money grab

So especially Andersson and Estby are not doing this with their own bands? - The last Dismember was actually not bad at all, speaking in terms of that band...The new Entombed ep is also quite traditional...so where's the sense?

I mean, anybody can play in as many bands as they want, but buy it all...I wouldn't.

I honestly could not give a fuck about the band's motive for releasing such a piece of Metal, but the quality speaks for itself. In terms of new releases in old school Death Metal, this fits in quite nicely, and there's really no reason to avoid this unless you have a ridiculously low budget and don't already own all of the albums to which Death Breath hearkens back.

Necuratul said:
there's really no reason to avoid this unless you have a ridiculously low budget and don't already own all of the albums to which Death Break hearkens back.
I'm at a loss to make sense of this statement.o_O

It means that you should be buying CDs from bands like Death Breath unless you can't afford it and don't already own the classics of the genre. Not hard to understand.

Wouldn't make more sense not to buy the album if you DO own the albums they blatantly rip off?

I never suggested it was. But why pay for an album that sounds exactly like something you already own, if the one you already own is better?

It doesn't sound exactly the same. It's in the same vein. And having new material in a vein that is already established as quality is a positive in my book. Whether or not you want to buy it is your call, but I don't want to listen to Seven Churches and Scream Bloody Gore 100 times in a row. It's nice to have something else to throw into the mix.

Shit. I'd rather have Andersson tap into the spirit and songwriting of To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth than fool around with this stuff.

Entombed is lacking a still lacking a drummer, I believe, but it seems to be a fifty-fifty propostion--Death Breath could be a bridge or an obstacle to getting back into Entombed mode.

But considering that the Hellacopters now specialize in the Paul Stanley AOR exposed hairy-chest bland rock that is two or three stages removed from "The Tears are Falling," I am wary and wonder if any real and substantial fire would be there.

Can't say that revisting the sounds of Seven Churches Scream Bloody Gore etc. get me all excited, but that is more of a matter of personal taste than anything else....

1. Andersson was a pioneer of the genre. Yeah, Nihilist/Entombed was post-Autopsy, post-Repulsion, but Entombed was one of the big ones.

2. He left it behind. When metal was at its shiteatingest low point as far as "the biz" goes, if we want to get conspiratorial about this.

3. Now he's returned. When metal is getting quite hot again, if we want to get conspiratorial about this.

4. Reports are that inspiration came from a book written about the times he lived. Feel the fire. Don't forget to consider point #1 when the entire "tribute" angle is brought up as well...

5. Add in some names associated with those old times for the feel-good fuzzy feeling of the year.

6. I'd be all pissy about this anyway, but what really puts it over the top is the whole project has a joke name and the album has a joke title. It could be a brand new band of unknown musicians and it still would stink like a novelty band who wasn't taking it serious at all.

I'll sit this one out, thanks.

Like I said before, I really don't give a crap about why they formed the band, or what motive they have behind it. What separates them from bands like 3 Inches Of Blood and The Sword is that they're not absolutely shit.

Necuratul said:
Like I said before, I really don't give a crap about why they formed the band, or what motive they have behind it.
You're in the wrong place then, buddy.