Death Metal?

sonOfstone

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Ventura, CA
Visit site
The new single in no way sounds like Death Metal to me, are they over it? Do they just care about the money and fame and the appeal from greater
crowd?

-Why do such talented bands, whether or not in Death Metal, Rock, or any other genre of music start to use less of their talent as each album progresses further? Why not do the utmost to be unique and earnestly seek to increase their technicalities and talent on each song they write?

This I say is because of the fear of losing fame and fortune do to the outcome of such progression. As though it may be very good music to only a few very passionate listeners, their draw from the greater crowd of people across the world will be less, but why?

Are the majority of people in the world unable to appreciate Death Metal in it's full talent and technical sound?

I think so.

The fact that In Flames has adjusted their sound over the years proves this theory, but Death Metal continues to thrive in other bands just as talented as they are. All bands seem to progress in the same direction - Good to Worse - some do not, and those are the true Death Metal bands, who, through the years prove their talent and abilities more and more on each album and never stop the flowing. In Flames seemed to be one of these bands for a time through their first ( In my opinion ) 4 albums, but R2R and this new album seem to take a more general approach to sound and music and the Metal Genre as a whole, making themselves sound just like every other Band at their level of fame and wealth.

This is a sad yet proven principal in every genre of music, let you musicans out there realize that fame and wealth only makes your talent and technical abilities decrease, as your leisure and wealth increase making you a useless and idle person (or band) and therefore useless and injurious to people below you, these things you will eventually become to serve.

To all you starving musicians out there, I solute thee.

Oh, and also name one band that sounds like STYE.....because you can't. In Flames have their own sound and own identity now, if you want that old "melodic death metal" sound, listen to a different band.

Also, some bands may succeed to worldwide fame using their unique sound and techinical abilities because they are the first to make such sounds on such a global scale. Take for example Black Sabbath, they were the founders of such Death Metal bands and still prove to be, because they created its genre in their music and their abilities, and no one at their time had done what they did to such a degree. The fact that In Flames is no longer using their techinical abilities to progress Death Metal into sounding different and unique is BECAUSE of their fame, fortune and stature as one of the most oustanding Death Metal bands since Black Sabbath. I just see a degression not a progression, and therefore account it to their circumstances. They aren't doing what STYE is doing, they are starting down the path that Metallica took, or any other great band who achived fame and wealth and did not keep progressing.

What is Death metal, if its not melodic? Non-melodic death metal? Or just Death metal? There is only one Death Metal - and its melodic, harmonious, and pure of sound, full of darkness and ability. As just with any other type of Metal, thrash - black - progressive, whatever - in their purest form are melodic, harmonious and full of technical ability and darkness.

sonOfstone said:
but R2R and this new album seem to take a more general approach to sound and music and the Metal Genre as a whole, making themselves sound just like every other Band at their level of fame and wealth.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. If anything RTR was a creative progression, whether you liked the actual music or not - they decided to move away from the typical "gothenburg melodeath sound" which in my opinion is starting to sound real tired, and forge ahead with something new. Not a lot of albums out there sound like RTR, especially with its creativity and diversity. Again, whether you liked it or not. So don't say they aren't "different or unique" anymore, because if anything, with RTR, they are moreso than before.

I don't really see the problem. Firstly, death metal is oversaturated, so if it's death metal you want then you are spoilt for choice regardless of whether In Flames still play it. Why waste any time worrying about In Flames' display of technical ability, who cares? And also, if it's death metal you really want, then In Flames have barely ever been much of a death metal band, they've always been focusing more on melody. Which is the thing with In Flames, melody... always has been, and still is. Anyway, if you're calling Black Sabbath a death metal band then I can see that your idea of death metal is a bit distorted anyway.

Dude don't judge off that A Quiet Place song. It sucks I don't even know why they made it the single, its the only bad one on the cd album. The rest of the album is kick you in your ass metal. In Flames rules once again.

I agree with SunlapseVertigo.
Just because a band starts in a particular style, technique, structure etc. etc. doesn't mean that they are essentially obliged to REMAIN artists in that particular genre. In Flames have done Melodic Death Metal, and they conquered all with albums like TJR, Clayman, Whoracle etc. :headbang: but now.....now they have become their own entity, their own brand, their own style - NO other band sounds like In Flames do, no matter how commercially focused they may become.

And to simply state that because they are not as involved in the death metal way of playing their instruments as they were, does not mean that they immediately become talentless wasters who use their niche in the industry to climb higher into the commercial ranks - (F)riend, as it has already been stated on this thread, is a fine example that their skills have remained, and that they still incorporate their past music in to their new.

In Flames have evolved, that is the only fair way of stating what they have become. Many bands, Cannibal Corpse for example, have sounded exactly the same for the vast majority, if not for all, of their careers and as such receive support from some, but lose the support of others. Why? Because they become stagnant, stuck in a rut, boring in other words. In Flames, to me, have never EVER been boring. Sure, their music is nothing like it was, but perhaps if they had remained the same....then perhaps they too may have fallen into the pit of releasing mediocre albums, simply because they are too scared their present fans will dismiss them if they try something new?

I think we should all be a little more accepting of the fact that the In Flames guys' are allowed to make their own decisions. If you want music a particular way then fine, form a band, write some Old-In Flames-wannabe songs and see how far you get in this day and age. The guys have changed their sound.....so what? At least they ain't Britney Spear's f***in' favourite band... :)

NP - Dimension Zero - Immaculate

I don't know who this guy is calling Black Sabbath death metal. :loco:

And that death metal created all the other genres of metal :OMG:

I think this person's slightly retarded.

In Flames always has and always will kick your ass :headbang:

STRONG POINTS AND COunterpoints, but remember thats only his opinion, he could say that fleetwood mac and john denver are the two heaviest artists ever but loves inflames and dark tranquility too, just a opinion. I like john Denver though, his voice in CAlypso is awesome, let the flaming begin.

Dude you lost your caps! Oh my god!

Aaaanywayz..
Black sabbath is death metal.
Death metal is melodic.
If you become famous you automatically lose all your talent.
Melodic death metal is the founding force for all genres of metal.

Why do you even bother to argue with this guy?
Or did you? I didn't really read everything through thoroughly :)

As I've said in other threads about this such topic, In Flames always have evolved their sound. Even in your precious Colony/Whoracle/Clayman days. Listen to "Jotun", then "Ordinary Story," and then listen to "Suburban Me." You can hear the musical evolution. In each album they've experimented with different things. In TJR they didn't use clean vocals whatsoever. In Whoracle, they started with the soft whispering vocals in parts. In Colony they continued with this, and even added some clean vox. Clayman, they didn't do an instrumental, did more clean vox, less guitar riffs during verses. Has my point been made, or should I continue with examples?