Death or melodic? Which one brought you to Opeth?

GT2000

May 7, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, I copied that other guy's thread - but mine's better :kickass:'

Which one most brought you to worship at the feet of Opeth - 'death' or 'melodic'?

I know, heads could explode here...

I discovered Opeth through the doom and gothic metal scene, where they're well respected. It was "Harvest" that actually got me hooked, though.

Well, I got into Opeth before I listened to into any metal. I was thirteen and I think the heaviest things I listened to were Nirvana and Linkin Park. I bought Blackwater Park one day because I thought the artwork on the cover was amazing. I know that must sound odd, but my dad is professional artist and I was very intersted in seeing how the music would sound being portrayed by such a dark image. Needless to say the album didn't fail. I listened to the title track first and it blew me away. It actually quite frightened me on the first listen, but it changed my perspective on music forever. Afterwards I got into heavier music but within the recent years I've abandoned that type of music besides my all time favourties and become more interested in the melodic aspects. Opeth remain my favourite band but they have brought on interest to such bands as Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Tool & A Perfect Circle, Kamelot and many of the like and increased my interest in bands my parents listened to (Floyd, Zeppelin, The Doors). I still find it odd hearing of people who are fans of Opeth but only listen to death metal, everyone I know who listens to them have them as the most extreme band in the catologue. I consider many death metal fans to have an underdeveloped music taste, because it is a very generic genre. As you grow older you usually find certain aspects of the bands you experiemented with listening that you appreciate the most an grow your taste around that aspect.

But anyways, like I said Opeth remain my favourite band and I have an ever growing appreciation for their melodic material and Damnation has been my album of choice for quite sometime, but I don't in anyway dislike the brutal material.

Well, I got into Opeth before I listened to into any metal. I was thirteen and I think the heaviest things I listened to were Nirvana and Linkin Park. I bought Blackwater Park one day because I thought the artwork on the cover was amazing. I know that must sound odd, but my dad is professional artist and I was very intersted in seeing how the music would sound being portrayed by such a dark image. Needless to say the album didn't fail. I listened to the title track first and it blew me away. It actually quite frightened me on the first listen, but it changed my perspective on music forever. Afterwards I got into heavier music but within the recent years I've abandoned that type of music besides my all time favourties and become more interested in the melodic aspects. Opeth remain my favourite band but they have brought on interest to such bands as Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Tool & A Perfect Circle, Kamelot and many of the like and increased my interest in bands my parents listened to (Floyd, Zeppelin, The Doors). I still find it odd hearing of people who are fans of Opeth but only listen to death metal, everyone I know who listens to them have them as the most extreme band in the catologue. I consider many death metal fans to have an underdeveloped music taste, because it is a very generic genre. As you grow older you usually find certain aspects of the bands you experiemented with listening that you appreciate the most an grow your taste around that aspect.

But anyways, like I said Opeth remain my favourite band and I have an ever growing appreciation for their melodic material and Damnation has been my album of choice for quite sometime, but I don't in anyway dislike the brutal material.

You win. :)

Seriously, I have come on this board every day for like the last six months and that has to be the best post I have ever read here.

On the katatonia website there's an area where band members post what albums they were listening to that month. I happened to see Ghost Reveries on there and decided to check it out. I downloaded it and fucking loved it.(Illegal, i know, tisk tisk, Since then I've purchased every album I listen to) I discovered their older albums and have grown to like them even more.

Say what you want about music piracy, but I've bought many many more albums than I would have without it.

Oh... and Melodic

I remember checking out Benighted a long while back just cause of its frequent comparison to Camel's Never Let Go. I was like, meh its alright but nothing special and then I kinda forgot about them for about a year. Then I heard Katatonia's Brave Murder Day from a friend, which was my first excursion into any sort of extreme metal. Surprisingly I really liked that, and so after I heard it naturally I had to check out Opeth again and I very quickly saw how amazing they are.

I'd say both. When I first popped in Ghost Reveries, the opening 10 seconds of Ghost of Perdition
blew me away... I was not expecting that at all. I figured it would just be 10 minutes of growling
(which nowadays I'd enjoy), but the clean vocal sections were unbelievable. I could hardly believe
I was listening to the same band. I went on to buy all of their catalogue and I really haven't looked
back. Opeth has completely changed my musical taste: I became a huge fan of bands I used to hate
(Tool) and I even got into some 70s jazz fusion.

I wasn't into Death Metal at the time I got into Opeth. Actually, Opeth were the one's who opened me up to more Death Metal. I guess I'd have to say Melodic, because I was listening to Dark Tranquillity before Opeth.

I heard The Drapery Falls as my first Opeth song. I was digging the mellow vocals, and then bam death metal destruction towards the end!

I needed moar, I got moar, I am fulfilled.

I heard The Drapery Falls as my first Opeth song. I was digging the mellow vocals, and then bam death metal destruction towards the end!

I needed moar, I got moar, I am fulfilled.

The Drapery Falls is probably the best introduction to Opeth that anyone can get. That song pwns just about everything in it's path.

I've listened to Drapery Falls a million times, but it still doesn't really do anything for me.
It's a well-crafted song, it just doesn't have the same effect as do songs like Bleak, Harvest,
and BWP.

Melodic, I'd say.
I listened to electronic music before that. I fell in love with the GR artwork, and bought it without listening to it. I've been kind of suspicious after the first listen, like "well, it's a bit brutal for me." Then I listened to it again, for those little moments inside the songs, and for Atonement which was actually the only one I loved at this moment. It finally grew on me, as I "read between the lines" of the album. A few images came to my mind, like an old mansion, candles and squeaking doors.
Needless to say I bought every other album since ; but I was surprised to find a different atmosphere to each one. And I'm still in love with the Atonement/Reverie/Harlequin Forest part.

My friend who got me into Opeth really knows her music. So in her I trusted. I live in Sydney and as a kid my dad used to take me into Utopia (the original Utopia i.e. not current, not one before that, but the one before that) and I used to love the atmosphere and sound of death metal, but I didn't pursue it.

Black Rose Immortal got me into Opeth but while I adored the mellow sections, the metal had rising from within from a young age.