Death penalty

TheMindzI

Denial serves me
Oct 17, 2001
Piraeus, Greece
I was just inspired from the "Finland: Funny again" thread.. so here it goes.. Do you believe in death penalty of any kind? Is it legal in your own country? Do you think it's effective? Do you think it serves its purpose? In which cases? Or is it just a murder? There are so many questions.. well.. go as far as u will.. I've thought about it quite a lot of times.. I'm going to sleep now.. but I'll be back :)

I believe that certain people should be excised from the mortal coil, and that the death penalty, while limited in it's effectiveness as a scare tactic, fulfills the vengeance factor quite well. I do believe, however, that it is still used in a racially biased way in the United States (but so is our whole justice system)...

The death penalty (at least in the United States) is as effective as sex with a championed whore is for my genital warts :) .

The problems I have with the death penalty is that innocent people seem to be a common thing on death row. I have heard all kind of reports of people being found innocent via DNA testing and getting off death row in the nick of time.
On the other hand those evil bastards that torture people and shit get a nice, quick, painless death while thier victims suffered horribly. I think the death should fit the crime. For instance.... Some rednecks in the US dragged some black dude to death in their truck because he was black I guess... the dudes head popped off even..... now the appropiate punishment would be to drag the rednecks to death.
The woman who drowned he four/five kids in the bathtub should be drowned. The woman who poisoned her children with peanutbutter and jelly sandwicthes should be locked in a cell and fed nothing but pb&j sandwitches... and one day put poison on them. If the person is undeniably guilty of some heinous act then I support the death penalty. To bad innocent people are often send to die though. Personally, I'd rather die than spend a life behind bars.

Urizen, well said, very well said. Personally, I believe the death penalty serves not one iota of purpose. For example, Timothy McVeigh was put to death, and I haven't heard anyone talking about how he suffered, etc. Of course, because he didn't..death penalty takes that away. I say bring back the torture days, and practice it on people that are guilty as sin and deserve it. Hell, go with what Urizen said, it's damn near perfect.

Tsk, tsk, Demonspell, first you suggest shipping the liberals to Finland, then you make egregiously false arguments in favor of the death penalty. What am I going to do with you? ;)

Fact: The death penalty costs more than life in prison. We've debated this topic three times now, I think, and each time, this has been brought up. Just shows how people cling to the opinions they bring into an argument, rather than absorbing the rebuttals.

And Sadistik, I'd rather my killer lived with utter boredom and the fear of being anally gang-raped every day, rather than eased into a peaceful sleep and then serenely drugged to death, not feeling an ounce of pain.

Originally posted by Jannet
. For example, Timothy McVeigh was put to death, and I haven't heard anyone talking about how he suffered, etc. Of course, because he didn't..death penalty takes that away. I say bring back the torture days, and practice it on people that are guilty as sin and deserve it. Hell, go with what Urizen said, it's damn near perfect.

Thanks, I was hoping to not sound like an extremist or something..

Timothy McVeigh was a Papsy. A Papsy. The guy was set up to take the fall. He's about as guilty as Oswald was.

Timothy McVeigh was a Papsy. A Papsy. The guy was set up to take the fall.
Well, unfortunately, that is the way the world works - scapegoats. Blagh. But I do believe he was a small part of the bigger picture. Now the bigger picture has been put on the backburner because McVeigh took the blame for it all. One less thing for us to worry about most likely is the thinking. Oh well, what can you do *sigh*

It is a great deterrant.

There has NEVER been a case where someone has re-offended after they were sentenced to the death-penalty. :D

There is no such thing as 'the death penalty'. They are being saved from years in prison, kindof like a mercy killing...

I still say our entire prison system is fucked up. We have a system where white, upper class citizens can get caught with a key of coke and get a fine and probation, but a young black man would get 20-25 for intent to sell and possession. And celbrities get the same treatment, too. Ridiculous. The best thing for our country is probation. My term paper for Criminal Justice last year was on probation and parole, and their use in a justice system where incarceration is considered socially responsible. I discovered that statistically those NOT sentenced to prison time are less likely to be recidivists if given help to get their lives back on track. Those with prison sentences, even short ones, were up to 10 times as likely to repeat-offend. This is subject that interests me (thats why it's my major ;) ) so I'm constantly reading up on it and like to hear everyone else's thoughts. Keep up the intelligent responses!

Lina-I feel the same way, but what I was saying is that some people feel that they need the instant satisfaction of knowing that a killer will never take another breath, rather than waiting 40 years for hime to die, or dying first and never having the satisfaction. I feel that some people deserve to die, but, yes, the knowledge of them in a 4x10 would make me happier.

I went to school for criminal justice and in a lot of my classes we always debated about the death penalty.
For one thing it costs more to execute someone than to keep them in prison their whole life. Another thing is it isn't a deterrent. You don't hear about people saying..."well I was gonna kill the guy but I was too scared to because of the death penalty".
As for my opinion on it...I used to be for it until I learned more about it and did research on it. Killing them let's them get off too easy. Let them sit in a cell for the rest of their life. People say that it will make them feel better if the person is killed...but for me the only way I would feel better is if my friend/family member was back...killing them isn't gonna do anything to ease the pain, for me at least.

I still say our entire prison system is fucked up.

:: sings SOAD's Prison Song::

"minor drug offenders fill your prison's you don't even flinch, all out taxes paying for your wars against the new non-rich......"

Weeeeee. I love that song.

But yeah, I support the death penalty because anything that gets rid of people is okay with me.

Originally posted by loudsilence
For one thing it costs more to execute someone than to keep them in prison their whole life.

Then someone is being seriously overcharged for the cost of 1 bullet and a cardboard coffin.

I went to school for criminal justice

Cool! A fellow legal nerd!!!! Where'd ya go? I'm a second year CJ Administration major at San Diego State Univ. Glad to be studying something interesting and exciting, as there is so much that is controversial and can be viewed so many ways.
I agree. i was for the death penalty until I began researching it. Now I feel that it is one of the worst aspects of the US justice system. I'm all for the concept behind it, but it has yet to be implemented fairly, cost-effectively, and consistently. Remember, communism sounds good on paper too.

Originally posted by Urizen
I think the death should fit the crime.
Why don't you move to Saudi Arabia? I think the kind of justice system you are looking for is in fine operation there...

To borrow a line from Entombed, "Who examines the doctors?"

We kill people to show that killing is wrong.

A lot of innocent people end up in prison, correctional facilities, death row, etc. etc. via police, ignorance, a framed case, caught in corporate crossfire etcetera.

A lot of people are just dead until proven innocent.

"Who will police the police?"

It doesn't really matter who they get, as long as someone is taken as responsible, a lesson is taught, and the masses learn that it could happen to them if they step out of line.

I think?