death sound

As in chord progressions? Because if thats' what your asking, there is no such thing, you have death metal bands that are bassically playing thrash and then you have guys who understand the weight and heaviness of Bach progressions but don't neccisarily compose in a classical form.

chickenscratch understand my question but i know that metal was free but i think that we use different sort of "tonalité", majeur, mineur.... so for you what's the most important to use.

Almost everything we do is based on natural minor scales and perfect third harmonies, that's where the gothenburg-sound comes from.

If you want to sound like you made a pact with the devil, use the minor fifth interval, i.e. diabolus in musica.

If you just wanna groove, spice it up with blues scales.

(sorry if i'm not making sense, my english musical terms might be a little mixed up..)

edit: typo

Originally posted by Ziller
Almost everything we do is based on natural minor scales and perfect third harmonies, that's where the gothenburg-sound comes from.

If you want to sound like you made a pact with the devil, use the minor fifth interval, i.e. diabolus in musica.

(sorry if i'm not making sense, my english musical terms might be a little mixed up..)

dude dont worry about it.,.,,.im from fuckin america and suck at english,.,but maybe thats to be expected.,.,

i love shredding to harmonic minor as well as nat. minor.,.,our other guitarist uses some wierd scales.,.like jewish ones and spanish ones.,..,good stuff

Dude, there is NO death metal progression like ROCK or BLUES...

It is mostly harmonic minor scalar run or riffage (lead type rythms) harmonized by another guitar player as said above, harmonizing 3rds (black metal),4ths, and 5ths (slayer), or whatever... , with a lot of chromatics...

Originally posted by Ziller

Not in any attempt to make myself look better or put you down. From my musical training thirds aren't considered perfect intervals and fifths are... You just had it in reverse, unless there is something beyond me. But I consider myself knowledgable on the subject. Although im a bass player... when we do some slayer (spec. Raining Blood) They use fourths i believe. But it wouldnt suprise me if they used diminished fifths which i believe was your iimplication. Good stuff this thread interests me, keep it going hehe.

In my experience, if you want to create something thats edgier, try using third intervals. If you want to create something smooth, try sixth intervals. If you want to create something mind-blowing, go to music school and learn how to counter-point.

Originally posted by apoplexy
what's the death metal classical progression?

There really is no "Death Metal" classical progression. If a death metal band is classically influenced, they may adopt some rules from classical song writing. Such as Children of Bodom, who are heavy influenced by the neo-classical movement or whatever you want to call it :D A lot of their solos sound like they came straight from a symphony. A "classic" progression, not necessarily "classical" would be the I, IV, V progression that is the standard for blues/jazz and some rock. This doesn't really apply to most metal bands though, it would be the wrong way to go about writing a metal song. In my opinion, that's what makes metal so much more exciting, because they break so many of the musical theory "rules", and only abide by the ones that make the music still sound good.

One of the techniques would be harmonizing your notes, which is usually in minor thirds in melodic death metal.

well its really up to you, that's the poin...
but there is one scale that is perfect for sounding death all the time...
the diminished seventh arpeggio

its like
---------------3-6----
----------2-5-------
-----1-4--------------
0-3----------------

and then some diminished things like

---------7-8
0-6-7

so you can be like
-----7------8-------7----------
0-0----00----0-6----------------

Originally posted by The_Accolade
well its really up to you, that's the poin...
but there is one scale that is perfect for sounding death all the time...
the diminished seventh arpeggio

its like
---------------3-6----
----------2-5-------
-----1-4--------------
0-3----------------

and then some diminished things like

---------7-8
0-6-7

so you can be like
-----7------8-------7----------
0-0----00----0-6----------------

True, if that's your style. Arch Enemy uses a lot of diminished scales to add creepy overtones to their songs.