Decriminalize

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
MPs support decriminalizing marijuana

By LISA SCHMIDT-- The Canadian Press

OTTAWA (CP) -- Canadian Alliance MP Keith Martin says a majority of federal politicians, including Liberals, support his private member's bill calling for the decriminalization of marijuana.

"I think the government will be open to it," Martin, a medical doctor, said before MPs began debating the bill Wednesday.

Bill C-344 would impose a system of fines -- up to $1,000 -- rather than criminal penalties for possession of small amounts of pot.

Last month, the federal government said it will allow an open vote on the subject, which will come at a later date. However, private members bills rarely pass in the House of Commons.

Martin said about two-thirds of MPs have expressed support for his bill , and recent polls have shown a wide majority of Canadians also want decriminalization.

He also said he expects many open minds on the Liberal benches, especially since the federal government approved the use of medicinal marijuana this year.

Both Justice Minister Anne McLellan and Health Minister Allan Rock have said it's time to discuss whether Canada's drug laws are outdated.

"I know we can't wait any longer," said Martin, adding he does not support legalizing the drug.

Other countries that have adopted a similar strategy have not seen drug use increase, he said, and have been able to redeploy police resources to fight crime in other areas.

In Canada, the move could save $150 million on court costs annually, Martin claimed.

"Today, post-Sept. 11, when we're trying to find money to go after terrorists and to use to go after more serious villains such as organized crime gangs we have to find money somewhere."

Canada's police chiefs and the RCMP have come out in favour of decriminalization, although they say Martin's bill goes too far by lowering some existing fines.

The Canadian Medical Association Journal has called on Ottawa to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use.

A small number of Canadians have obtained special permits to use cannabis to relieve the symptoms of cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy.

For anyone else, simple possession is a criminal offence.

The idea has come under fire from the Canadian Police Association, which represents over 30,000 officers across the country.

Among MPs, Tory Leader Joe Clark has said he supports decriminalization of marijuana in small amounts.

Both Commons and Senate committees are currently examining non-medical drug use in Canada.

Personal use...that's all it is. I'm with this. Throwing people in jail for having a bag on hand is just crazy IMO. Is it because I use it myself...maybe. Mostly not though. I think it's harmless when you use it "wisely". If the authorities want to be such a wet ass about what I think is one of the most harmless drugs out there, a hefty fine is the only thing that'd slow down dealers...as for personal use? A small fine? OK, next time we'll hide it better! You know how many people get baked everyday! You're going to arrest them for having a small bag? What do you think someone who's arrested for weed does first thing after they get out of jail? They go get high! :lol: The vicious cycle. As a race we've done things in the past that were OK then, but as the population grew these small things turned into big problems and it's too late IMO to try to get rid of them now. We're stuck with them. That and then there's things that a majority of people like, but only a few head honchos don't like and they try to take control and make things the way they want it. :bah:

:err: ...clicks off rant mode... :)

How harmful is our good friend mary jane? Well:

"The Canadian Medical Association Journal has called on Ottawa to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use. "

If it was so bad, why would the CMA support decriminalization? Could it be that they've done extensive research on this drug and found that it doesn't present significant harm to individuals or society? Yes.

Satori

I think most governments don't want to let mary jane out of her cell because if they do more people will have a resource which will open their eye's to the huge government dick in their ass.

I don't know... a lot of stoners I know are pretty brain dead after excess usage.

I don't smoke anymore, but I do support 'personal use'. I think it's a bit extreme to actually charge people for something so petty.

"Brain cells. Agh! What are they good for?! All they do is let me think up more things to hate!" My roommate said that to me. I laughed for a while......then I was up. :p

I went home the night after this thread was posted and started talking about this with him and he told me about his friend that's married to a former counsel women. Oddly enough her last night is Weed. :err: Anyhoo, this guy said that he'd smoke but it's illegal. So he'll drink instead. He's an alcoholic...couple of DWIs.

:rolleyes:

Drinking kills way more than smoking. Period.

Unless I'm blind, drinking has more addiction problems.

Plus, smoking = good high with no hangover.

And I've lost a few brain cells along the way - so by the time I'm 75, I'll be listening to Opeth in a rocking chair with a blanket and slippers, drooling, puffing, and smiling in pure contentment.

And like Opet said - too many brain cells is a detriment - so loosing a few along the road of life is not a bad thing.

It is widely known and generally accepted by that mj does not destory braincells directly. In fact (I've read), ciggarettes kill way more braincells cuz people have to do such massive quantities of tobacco (relative to weed) to get a buzz (not to mention the frequency), while the weed these days is so strong that one needs a very small amount to get high.

Just a note: breathing kills braincells, holding your breath for more than a few seconds kills braincells, jogging kills braincells (because of the impact), boxing kills more braincells than heroin!

Also, it has been conclusively shown that the negative effects of weed are mostly worn off after a few days and pretty much non-existent after a month or 2, even in heavy daily users who've been constantly stoned for years.

I think the reason why the CMA (canadian medical association) is in favour of decriminalization is cuz they cannot find legitimate reasons to justify being in favour of criminalizing it. There are also many psychological benefits to this substance as well, it's helps people unwind from stress and take time to smell the flowers, very theraputic. It can also help people sleep better as well.

Aside from all this however, the current laws surround mj are far more harmful to individuals and societies than the drug itself. For this reason, the law is not actually helping us, but harming us. When a law does more harm than good, we have to abolish the law, or at the very least loosen it. I would happy to see total decriminalization and also the gov't handing out licences for people open "hash bars" like in Holland where people can freely buy and smoke shit. There was a place like this in BC, Canada once and it was there and tolerated by law enforcement for years, but then the feds shut it down cuz of complaints they were getting from some of the citizens in the area (I heard). Even though it's gone now, I think it's cool that this place existed in my own country, and it makes me think that decriminalization of small amounts and small grow rooms can't be that far off.

If/when it is decriminalized, I'm going to get some clones and grow some top quality stuff in my apartment, and you are all invited back to my place for some fine bud and pleasant conversation. See you soon...

Satori

Originally posted by Satori
I would happy to see total decriminalization and also the gov't handing out licences for people open "hash bars" like in Holland where people can freely buy and smoke shit. There was a place like this in BC, Canada once and it was there and tolerated by law enforcement for years, but then the feds shut it down cuz of complaints they were getting from some of the citizens in the area (I heard). Even though it's gone now, I think it's cool that this place existed in my own country, and it makes me think that decriminalization of small amounts and small grow rooms can't be that far off.

If/when it is decriminalized, I'm going to get some clones and grow some top quality stuff in my apartment, and you are all invited back to my place for some fine bud and pleasant conversation. See you soon...

Satori

There were actually 3 seperate shops all side-by-side on Hastings street in downtown Vancouver, on the block right between where the downtown area of East Hastings (the scummiest stretch of road... probably in the country) gives way to West Hastings (pretty nice, upscale downtown). HempBC and The Cannibis Cafe were two of them (can't remember the third), and I think they basically had lawyers keeping red tape tangled around the legal issues as long as possible so they could operate. They'd be raided semi-regularly, shut down for short stretches, but would always open back up again... for awhile, anyways.

Let me know if you and Duvall get together, I'll arrange a vacation to fly out to Toronto ("Tarannah") and meet up with you.

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
Satori is in Toronto?? Cool. We ought to arrange to meet up at some metal show, don't know many metalheads here at all.

I thought you knew I was a Newfie living the dream, hehehe.

Let me know what's happening, particularly if there are any prog metal shows going on..

Satori

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Let me know if you and Duvall get together, I'll arrange a vacation to fly out to Toronto ("Tarannah") and meet up with you.

That's pretty cool. I'm sure this board will still be here and we'll still all be on here next year, so we'll be in touch.

Do you know anyone else here?

cheers,

Satori

Originally posted by Satori

I thought you knew I was a Newfie living the dream, hehehe.

Let me know what's happening, particularly if there are any prog metal shows going on..

Satori

:lol: So this is your dream?? ! Remind me not to ask about your nightmares dude....J/k! It's not THAT bad here I guess.

Have you heard Memory Bank??? I've been waiting for them to play again, if they do, I'll let you know, they are INCREDIBLE live....... Very artsy prog rock based on emotional and atmospheric sections of music, and they use strange guitar techniques to create totally unexpected riffs and spine tingling atmospheres! That may sound like a bad press release, but it's true. Saw them at canadian music week last year (they are from TO by the way...)

And I'd kill to go to enslaved, but unfortunately my ticket back to NF for the holidays is already booked (and I can't get violent over that.....though for enslaved, I probably should!)

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
Have you heard Memory Bank??? I've been waiting for them to play again, if they do, I'll let you know, they are INCREDIBLE live....... Very artsy prog rock based on emotional and atmospheric sections of music, and they use strange guitar techniques to create totally unexpected riffs and spine tingling atmospheres! That may sound like a bad press release, but it's true. Saw them at canadian music week last year (they are from TO by the way...)

I'm very intrigued by your description of this band. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them, thanks for the tip!

And I'd kill to go to enslaved, but unfortunately my ticket back to NF for the holidays is already booked (and I can't get violent over that.....though for enslaved, I probably should!) [/B]

When are they playing? What are they like? They sound pretty brutal by the name, like speedy black metal or something..?

Satori