Deep ?urple - Now What?! A Brief Review

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
I see that Euleria has posted a song off the new Deep Purple album on the song of the week thread. I can still remember hearing my first taste of Deep Purple riding in my friend's 1964 Ford Fairlane. It must have been the summer of 1972 and the song was Maybe I'm a Leo. I have been hooked on heavy progressive music ever since.

I love the vast majority of Deep Purple's catalog; however I have to admit that their last release Rapture of the Deep didn't really capture my interest. With Now What?! my interest is fully engaged. The music is fresh while retrospective, peppered with emotion, allows space for instrumental expanse, and sports progressive moments. Euleria is right that Don Airey really steps it up and earns greater presence in the mix. Also, Roger Glover can be heard as clearly as on any Deep Purple release. In my opinion, Now What?! is clearly the best release since the outstanding Purpendicular. Here's a few links:

A little ELP shines through on Uncommon Man :err::

Apres Vous contains a Space Truckin’ live jam session :D:

A Simple Song tugs at the heart strings :cry::

Body Line is a jazzy shuffle :Spin::

All the Time in the World offers Deep Purple at their most laid back :cool::

Rockin’ out with Hell to Pay :devil::

Deep Purple never took themselves too seriously as proved by Vincent Price :tickled:, which Euleria captured in the song of the week thread:

While Deep Purple's Now What?! isn’t my current/normal diet of modern Progressive Metal, it might just turn out to be my favorite release of 2013????? Still listening ;). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good but not spectacularly so, but keep in mind I'm a major DP fanboy, so I'm always going to think it's good. The best album of the Morse era is still Perpendicular, and I don't see them surpassing that.

It's good but not spectacularly so, but keep in mind I'm a major DP fanboy, so I'm always going to think it's good. The best album of the Morse era is still Perpendicular, and I don't see them surpassing that.

I will probably agree with you, except to say that Purpendicular was a tremendous album and probably their best since Burn or Perfect Strangers or maybe even Machine Head. So, falling short of such a lofty peak is really not falling very short at all!

I will probably agree with you, except to say that Purpendicular was a tremendous album and probably their best since Burn or Perfect Strangers or maybe even Machine Head. So, falling short of such a lofty peak is really not falling very short at all!

So I must still be the only one that thinks Bananas is by far the best album of the Steve Morse era? For me, it isn't even close!

And that Vincent Price video is awesome - both the song and the video!

I dug it quite a bit. What I like about it is that it pretty much combines all eras of Deep Purple's sound, yet it feels cohesive. I'm not going to lie, when I heard they were doing a new one, I wasn't so confident but I was quite surprised.

Btw, I can't get the "Vincent Price" song out of my head.