DELAIN's CHARLOTTE WESSELS: 'I Was Totally Bewitched By KATE BUSH As A Kid'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In an interview with Kel from the "Kel-n-Rich Show", frontwoman Charlotte Wessels of Dutch symphonic metallers DELAIN professed her admiration for British artist Kate Bush. The enigmatic Bush established herself as one of the U.K.'s leading female singers in the late '70s and '80s in large part because of her stratospheric, unconventional vocal range and odd, almost avant-garde music that has long defied categorization. Bush has since become a cult favorite of sorts in the metal scene, having been covered by Brazilian power metal outfit ANGRA, Norwegian vocalist Jørn Lande and Italian dark metal ensemble NOVEMBRE, and also is a favorite of KREATOR leader Mille Petrozza. "I was totally bewitched by Kate Bush as a kid, like probably a lot of singers," said Charlotte (see video below). "There were a lot of bands that my parents listened to that I really, really loved, but, for me somehow, hearing a female singer, I responded to that more. I could sing the songs better. That was musically a really big influence and also made me take classical lessons because I like singing high pitched so much. That was musically, I think, the biggest influence. Lyrically, Nick Cave, all the way. [Laughs] Just the storytelling in the lyrics, which I don't do enough, but it's always been a goal. He's been really inspirational." DELAIN will release its new full-length album, "Apocalypse & Chill", on February 7, 2020, via Napalm Records. The disc explores topics of impending doom and human indifference, making this the band's boldest, most daring and undeniable offering yet. Brutal riffs, synth-heavy patterns and fully orchestrated compositions accented by Wessels's extraordinary vocal potency will enthrall the listener, while new influences may surprise. The broad soundscape on "Apocalypse & Chill" ranges from anthemic rock to electronic metal and breaks all stereotypes, without losing the special DELAIN trademarks.

Continue reading...