[deleted]

The general rule of thumb for playing is that do whatever as long as it sounds good. Sure, there are things that you should strive for like being as relaxed as possible when playing, using the least possible amount of tension needed.

In my opinion there's no point trying to copy someone else's playing style entirely, which sounds exactly what you're aiming for.

Anyway, the first things that come to mind from alexi's playing are:
-sweeps, minor and dim shapes
-runs, also minor and dim, blues shapes and licks, curls for example.
-tapping to add an octave to arppeggios or just a minor third
-harmonics
-whammy bar shit, flutters and squeals

hey man. thanks for the input and style analysis. ive always heard play every style and kind of took it literally, not just musical style but player specific styles too. so i do have my own approach to guitar but i also like to study different styles and guitarists technique. anyways this is just meant to be kind of an alexi technique "appreciation" thread. kind of an open discussion kind of thing. so lets keep the discussion rolling. thx guys!

Sorry, I was a bit blunt about the whole "copying a style", I re-read my comment and it had negative touch to it, didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

On a side note, I think your approach to dissecting playing styles and techniques is actually pretty clever. Taking the best bits of every style and moulding them into your own is nice, just be sure that you don't borrow too much.

His technique works for him and that's all that matters. There really is nothing special about it. He anchors his pinkie on his picking hand...not sure what you mean by "love how he throws his thumb up over the fret-board"??? Play standing up more and you will realize your wrist is in a more comfortable position holding the neck like that...if I am thinking of the same thing as you. I've never been one to try and emulate his techniques, though I do like his style of writing. No doubt he writes GREAT music.

Only persons techniques I admire are Paul Gilbert. He has a picking hand that is just flawless. I love watching him play in any setting(live, studio, clinics)...the guy is a machine.

Anchors ring and pinky fingers, has a really large pick angle, doesn't do upstrokes on arpeggios, anchors when he taps, rarely uses pinky, uhhh that's pretty much it. It works for him but it's not the best way. The "whatever's comfortable" method isn't really that good, since you're comfortable with whatever you practice as most. I could hold the pick with my pinky and index fingers and it might be comfortable to me but it'd be a lot harder to play that way. Of course it can go both ways as there's TONS of great guitarists with "bad" technique, but there's some ways that are a lot easier than others

Also, ^Paul Gilbert is a god among men

Practise, practise, practise... Use other guitarists as influens, as you already do. A comfortable technique will sooner or later develope on it's own.

What do you guys mean with ''anchors'' ring and pinky btw?

just thought id give some examples. that description was kind of weak.

those aren't quite obvious as he's playing 6th and 1st string respectively, hence some of the difference.

just noticed that in his earlier days he seems to keep his ring and pinky pretty far under the pickup, also his middle finger seems glued to his pointer. nowadays he seems to keep his picking hand more open and relaxed. think it has anything to do with his switch from jackson to esp?

I think that comes with the years. When I look at some of my first videos, compared with videos I made 4 years ago and the videos I make today, my technique has changend a lot for both hands

I think that comes with the years. When I look at some of my first videos, compared with videos I made 4 years ago and the videos I make today, my technique has changend a lot for both hands

Preach it, brother. I noticed that for my own as well. It's funny though, how you don't notice (at least I didn't) until I took a look at my old videos...

I agree with how a person technique will change over time.

For the first 10 years of playing I had a very odd picking technique. I held the pick....well, the only other guitarist I have found that held it like I did was Synyster Gates. He holds the pic at a reverse angle, almost flat and the wrist curves under. Watch a video or so of him playing and you will see what I mean.

Then I found Paul Gilbert and saw how easy he made picking seem...so I decided to totally change how I picked the guitar. It was not an easy thing to do. It was almost like starting all over again. Hardest part was not just saying fuck it, and switching back to the original way I picked.

Now, years later I am very glad I made the change. Alternate picking is much easier this way and my wrist hurts less. Although the odd style worked for me originally, learning a better way is sometimes better, you just have to be patient and allow the changes to develop into something that feels natural.

I agree with how a person technique will change over time.

For the first 10 years of playing I had a very odd picking technique. I held the pick....well, the only other guitarist I have found that held it like I did was Synyster Gates. He holds the pic at a reverse angle, almost flat and the wrist curves under. Watch a video or so of him playing and you will see what I mean.

Then I found Paul Gilbert and saw how easy he made picking seem...so I decided to totally change how I picked the guitar. It was not an easy thing to do. It was almost like starting all over again. Hardest part was not just saying fuck it, and switching back to the original way I picked.

Now, years later I am very glad I made the change. Alternate picking is much easier this way and my wrist hurts less. Although the odd style worked for me originally, learning a better way is sometimes better, you just have to be patient and allow the changes to develop into something that feels natural.

I totally changed my picking style a couple years ago, it was a bitch to do but totally, totally worth it. I used to roll my wrist inward a little bit, I always thought fast palm muted stuff was harder than it should be and it was kinda hard to palm mute the higher strings. It turned out I was also using more forearm motion than I thought.

Every time I'd watch a Paul Gilbert video I'd notice how his hand was rolled outward a bit instead of inward and his picking was sort of a turning motion or something. Yngwie's wrist was also sort of rolled outward except most of his picking came from his fingers. Emil Werstler did the same thing and picked mostly from the finger but his style was different from Yngwie's. They all made it look effortless though.

So basically I just tried to use them as guides on how to reshape my picking technique. Now everything is way more comfortable and easier.