Demons and Wizards - Demons and Wizards

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Demons and Wizards - Demons and Wizards
Steamhammer US/SPV - 2171 - February 8, 2000
By Adam McAuley

dwc-sm.jpg

Demons and Wizards is a side-project consisting of Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) and Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian) that was largely hyped at the time of this album's release. This duo play a traditional metal hybrid which contains elements of both of their main bands. Schaffer's influence can be heard in the signature staccato riffing, and Kursch's in the splendid singing, and power metal tendencies. Though they share similarities with the aforementioned outfits, their sound is both distinct and enjoyable. The intriguing lyrics are fantasy based, while the songwriting is fairly solid.

Where the band falters, however, is in its lack of a standout characteristic. The riffing is rather tame compared to Iced Earth's most energized moments (Night of the Stormrider and their S/T album) and the band doesn't share the epic, enamoring grandeur of Blind Guardian's peak achievements. "Fiddler on the Green" is easily the finest number here; beginning with haunting acoustic lines, eventually distorted guitars storm in and take precedence, forming an epic crescendo heightened by some incredible vocal harmonizing. Other than this track, the album doesn't really have an indelible punch to help distinguish it from similar outfits like Nevermore, that have put out much stronger material of a comparable nature. It's pretty standard stuff throughout; solid and well-played, but not spectacular by any means. This gets a recommendation for die-hard fans of Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, but most other people may want to skip this one.

7/10

Official SPV Website
Official Demons and Wizards Website

I wanted tolove this album so mush , but for some reason its just not as striking as i had hoped. Fiddler is amazingly good and the whistler is pretty good but for the most part i was not royally impressed. I still keep it though just because it seems like the only one they are gonna release.