DEMONS AND WIZARDS

METALDUDE

Metal Defender
Apr 6, 2006
U.S.A.
Without comparing them to Iced Earth or Blind Guardian..what are your opinions on them as a unigue entity?

B000040OC4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0009UC7UM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Personally, I like them much more than Blind Guardian, and about the same as prime Iced Earth.

In terms of quallity, the self titled original outclasses the latest effort easily. That cover version of the Immigrant song was really awful imo.

Carcassian said:
Personally, I like them much more than Blind Guardian, and about the same as prime Iced Earth.

In terms of quallity, the self titled original outclasses the latest effort easily. That cover version of the Immigrant song was really awful imo.

Yeah I agree. I had expectations when reading the track list for TBTCK the first time. Although not horrible IMO,The Immigrant Song was not the strongest point. The second release could have been much stronger had they left off a cover tune that deserves more justice than that. I have to agree with you on that!

Out of the two I do like the S/T better,but they both have a charm and rock.

I dig Iced Earth, I dig Blind Guardian, but Demons and Wizards does absolutely nothing for me except a couple tunes from the first album. I couldn't even make it through a full listen on the newest album and I tried twice. All the songs just sound the same to me - same pace, same sound, same riffs, etc. - very boring.

i havent listened to d&w in ages. i really liked what i heard ages ago - which was obviously off self titled. never followed through with it though - i probably should have/ should do.

byrne said:
i havent listened to d&w in ages. i really liked what i heard ages ago - which was obviously off self titled. never followed through with it though - i probably should have/ should do.

Yeah...There's only two. I can see others not really being into it. I like it for what it is. But I much rather hear Blind Guardian or Iced Earth anyday so I can't be all that put out.;)

The S/T CD is awesome...there are some great songs...very quality albumn.

Their latest release - gah...tried getting into it about 4 times, and failed each time. I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the problem is that each of the two bands (BG and IE) have such unique and recognizable sounds, that the meshing together of them just doesn't work very easily. There's a Bard/Tolkien lyrics being played to thrash metal...hard to make work. But they do manage to make it work in their first one...I dunno...I wouldn't buy another one.

Scott

The first album is awesome. Most of the songs are very well written and my only gripe is it could use at least one more "fast" song as there are really only two up-tempo songs on the album. I don't usually like ballads but Fiddler On The Green is one of the best metal ballads ever.

I like a few songs off the second album (The Gunslinger, Crimson King, Terror Train) but the rest is pretty boring.

I am a huge fan of both BG and IE and I also love the D&W project.

The first album is a classic and just about perfect. The second album is not too far behind. Another great record. Its a shame that many have dismissed the album because I think it offers a lot more than what appears on the surface. I recommend people to give it a few more spins because it SLOWLY went from an ok album to a great album over a six month span.

The self titled album was great. The last one was average. I am not into Blind Guardian. I like older Iced Earth. The new Demons sounds like new Iced Earth, so it does not do it for me.

I am a huge Iced Earth fan but couldn't get into either the s/t or the Crimson King. Just not as good as either band. BTW really looking forward to the resurrection of IE, they've been on life support it seems.