Denis "Piggy" D'amour RIP

Layla's Dad

May 1, 2004
Valley, AL
Piggy passed away last night, losing a battle with cancer.

I don't know if I ever saw Voivod mentioned on this board, but given the
caliber of fans that post here, I'm sure he may have some fans at the PP site.

Voivod's music was like a soundtrack to many adventures I've had over the last 20 years and Piggy was the centerpiece of this and his work is attached to so many memories that come to mind.

Thank you, Denis. RIP

Brilliant, original, innovative musician. My favorite metal guitarist and one of my top five all-time metal bands.

Rest in peace, Denis.

voivod_piggy2_ron_mcgregor.gif

A great band that never got their dues outside of their cult fanbase. "The Outer Limits" is one of the albums that first introduced me to progressive metal. Voivod were ahead of their time, creating non-cookie cutter music that challenged metal's boundaries even before there was a clear cut "progressive metal" fanbase.

My thoughts are also with his family.

This sucks... Piggy was probably one of the most original players that has ever came out of this whole metal scene. His phrasings, wierd chords and his songwriting ability was totally out there and so fucking original. Voi Vod has always been a step beyond in my eyes.

A sad situation.

Dime was a hero but Piggy was an original.

RIP Piggy!

:confused: I remember... when i get the first Voivod album "war and pain" in 1984 .. long time ago.... another one to the list.. of young metal musicians who passed away by some disease ... Chuck Schuldiner (death), Paul Baloff (exodus) , David Wayne (Metal Church), Quorthon (Bathory), Mike "Yaz" Jastremski (Heathen) between others.... :confused:

RIP Piggy.... :worship: