Desecrated Dreams - Feelings Of Guilt

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Desecrated Dreams - Feelings Of Guilt
Metal Age Productions - 2001
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to theDesecrated Dreams website.

Here's something a little different for you all - we're all used to hearing doom/death bands, but how about a mod-tempo death metal band with occasional doom and black metal influences?

Sound interesting? Well that's what Slovakian quintet Desecrated Dreams are serving up with their latest album. The general vibe is that of a slower, but more precise version of Obituary jamming with a back-to-basics My Dying Bride, although things occasionally get a bit more brutal and recall the crushing heaviness of more brutal death metal stalwarts.

The introductory track '...In The Darkened Forest' starts off the album in a beautiful fashion, with a very My Dying Bride, mournful riff slowly repeating itself over a gasping, spasming drumbeat that has a tempo reminiscent of a dying man's ECG readout while being defribbilated. Then the album proper begins, and the band get very heavy, very quickly.

The pace never really speeds up beyond a more crushing, but still doom-like crawl, but with the occasonial touches of acoustic/clean guitar melodies over the sluggish but crushingly heavy beats, this works perfectly.

Overall, this is a very interesting alternative to the usual death metal record - Desecrated Dreams offer something I can't honestly say that I've heard before, and in these days of Gothenberg-movement bandwagon jumping and the stalling 80s brutality revival, originality is a precious commodity in Death Metal land.

8.5/10