Desert Island and only 5 albums to take with you.

macc189

Sep 9, 2002
Macclesfield, UK
I know its another one of those 'top whatever' things but if you only had 5 albums to choose from EVERYTHING EVER RECORDED BY ANYONE to take to a desert island and live with them, and only them, forever! What would they be? and why? and just to make it a bit more interesting, NO BEST OF'S OR ANTHOLOGYS!!

My choice would be;

1. Saxon - Saxon (For Militia Guard, my baptism into metal)

2. Backyard Babies - Total 13 (Coz its nasty, sleazy and dirty, like me)

3. Anti Nowhere League - We Are The League (Snarling, stupid punk at its finest! who CAN'T laugh childishly at 'Reck A Nowhere'? daft as a brush!)

4. Judas Priest - Painkiller (The title track alone is deserving all by itself. It marked a massive return to form but heralded Robs departure, a real solid album with intense drumming and some of what i believe to be the best solos and riffery JP have done in years)

5. Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves (After traditional punk rock this album set the benchmark that other bands of the genre had to live up to, so far, no-one has, or even got close for that matter. Choc full of angst, tempered fury and youthful rebellion this album takes the torch from its vintage predecessors and ploughs forward, a real rolercoater)

Im betting that not many here would agree with my choices but Im being honest, thats really what i would take with me (took me a fair bit to get down to the top 5 I can tell you!) so lets see all your skeletons out the closet! and be HONEST!!

Difficult one, but im sure it'l be interesting reading everyones choices, ok heres mine then.

Judas Priest - Painkiller (you dont listen to this album...you experience it!)
Saxon - Metalhead (One of Saxons finest hours!)
Type o Negative - October Rust (Well.....it keeps my girlfriend happy)
AC\DC - Powerage (Bon Scotts lyrics man!)
Testament - The Gathering (Brutal and Awesome!)

I had a feeling i would be back to edit this list !!!

Btw Macc for everything you said about 'Painkiller' :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Here's my pics

1. Aerosmith - ROCKS
2. Michael Schenker - ASSAULT ATTACK
3. Metallica - KILL 'EM ALL
4. Shadows Fall - OF ONE BLOOD
5. Bob Marley - Babylon By Bus(Dudes-It's the islands-might find herbs to stay alive)

:hotjump:
bt9x

This is hard to choose (only 5 albums), if i had to answer this question in a few months time, my choices might not be exactly the same, but if i was off to the island now these are the albums i would take...
1) Saxon - Lionheart
2) Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
3) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
4) Judas Priest - Painkiller
5) Whitesnake - 1987

1. Still at War - Tank,(metal at is finest hour, TGNID. Best album this century)
2. Bastards - Motorhead ("marooned and stranded on the islands of the damned". Best albumn of the 90's)
3. Wheels of Steel - Saxon, (Motorcycle"fucking"man. Best 80's albumn)
4. Honour and Blood - Tank, (WMLA)
5. Esacapology - Robbie williams, change is good as a rest

Only 5.

Hum..........

Saxon Strong arm of the law Best Metal album ever
Alice Cooper Dragonheart Just great
Tom Angelripper Ein Schoner Tag Always makes me happy
Nick Cave Murder Ballads Nice and depressed
Frank Black Teenager of the year Many songs

Okay I think these are the one.
But don't ask me again next week.

Hey, Mr 747 - the rule was no compilations!!!! Not fair, Dude!!!

Anyhoo - after choosing my top 5, I slapped myself! This is too Bloody hard!!

How the Hell did I leave out an AC/DC (Powerage) and Maiden album (7th Son)??!!

I just can't do this top 5 stuff - it needs to be top 10!!!!

I know this is hard !!! i want to take some maiden, "Killers" ... can i macc please? its only a short album! :yell:

Should be top 10 for sure, but that would still make it too hard ! :heh:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Motorhead - No sleep till Hammersmith (You said nothing about live albums!)
Twisted Sister - You can't stop Rock n roll
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Sepultura - Chaos AD

Sadly the desert island might sink with this much METAL !

Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Saxon - Metalhead
Accept - Balls to the Wall

Pure metal :headbang:

double cd's are allowed..? (More music-minutes on that desert island:) )

The Eagle Has Landed volume 1 --> Saxon (my first contact with Saxon, the good atmosphere and authentic sound on it+ fantastic guitarwork)
Wheels of Steel --> Saxon ( best 80-s album)
Unleash The Beast --> Saxon (best 90-s album)
Tokyo Tapes --> Scorpions ( Ullrich Roth, still to me the best guitarist the Scorpions ever had..)
Van Halen 1 --> Van Halen ( super-guitar sound of Edward van Halen, born in the netherlands, I am proud of that..)

Hey, Mr Crusader! You will always be Mr Crusader to me! So I did mean 744rock! Man, he was taking all those tribute albums and stuff!
I'm sure that double CDs are ok, but I thought it was all related to original studio albums and such, so are live albums allowed?
Anyhoo - I'm still sticking mt thoughts that it would be better with an all top 10 studio album vote! But, smehow, I feel the choice would be just as tough in the end!!!

Nightwar mate! dont bring Live albums into the mix fella, it only makes this thing harder lol !

Valanx - I wholeheartedly agree, My Good Man! Including live albums would make this a nightmare!! I reckon that needs a seperate section!

HeavyCelli - yeah, 'Wheels of Steel' is so close to my top 5. Every track is a classic. I have a feeling that, in the long term, WOS would make it into my Top5 as opposed to 'Lionheart'!
Regarding the early Van Halen stuff - is it worth checking out? I didn't know too much about this band until they went 'commercial'. You know?... 'Jump' and that Michael Jackon solo!?
Olbahat - some original choices! I've always been intirgued by Nick Cave and almost bought his latest album (after watching him play a few tracks live on TV). Is he worth giving a try? I must admit, I like all that 'Dark side of the mind' kind of stuff!
Paxo - 'Dark Side Of The Moon'! A very cool choice! What a great album! Groundbreaking stuff! Did you see the documentry about the making of this album on UK TV recently? I've always been more of an 'Animals' fan, myself!
BT9X - Respect due for recognising the talent of Bob Marley! That guy changed an awful lot of perceptions!
Cool to see JP's 'PainKiller' be so popular! Halford went out on a high with that one. There are some real classic stuff on there! Let's hope that the new JP album takes off form where this one left off!
Also, it's great to see Bon Scott being recognised for his talent. As 'Powerage' proved, Scott was just not a great singer and front man - he was also a great writer. I love AC/DC and think Brian Johnson is a top bloke - in fact, 'Ball Breaker, Back In Black & Stiff Upper Lip' are not far off my top 5 - but Bonn Scott was something else. It would hae been interesting to know what would have happened if he had not passed away.
Valanx - yeah, those Paul Dianno Maiden albums are really underrated, aren't they? I love both of those albums! Although they transformed into something else entirely, I don't think Maiden would be what they are now if not for the early Paul D days!

Good question and not in any particuilar order:

Saxon (any one)

Led Zeppelin (Zoso) or as it is known as the album with Stairway to Heaven

Montrose (1st)

AC/DC Powerage

Lynch Mob Wicked Sensation