Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Devilinside – Prelude
Abacus Recordings – CD0006-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

devil.jpg

Featuring former members of Disembodied in their ranks, Devilinisde is ready to assault your senses with a healthy dose of brutal metalcore. Prelude was originally recorded in 2002, and it wasn’t until now that it has finally become available through Abacus Recordings. The title is a perfect description of what to expect because Prelude is a four song EP that serves as an appetizer for the aptly titled full-length Volume One due for released later this year.

So what should one expect with this band? Well, you should really prepare yourself because this is like a sledgehammer, a ton of bricks, and a ferocious linebacker hitting you all at once. But since the end result of each of those scenarios is a lot of pain, so is the music in Prelude - it’s just painful to hear. Also, while the music may be down tuned, crushing and absolutely heavy, there is very little in the terms of instrumentation and variety.

The band that claims that Sepultura and Entombed are influences to their music. I for one am having a hard time figuring out why they specify those artists, because I don’t hear anything like those two. Actually there may be some newer Sepultura influences but definitely nothing from the older and better sound of that band.

Maybe Devilinside have improved and refined their sound in the time since they recorded this release. Let’s hope that is the case because otherwise this may not be a prelude of better things to come.

5/10

Devilinside Official Website
Abacus Recordings Official Website

I agree that Sepultura's older material is infinitely better than their newer material. Everything up to Chaos A.D. is awesome, with Beneath the Remains being what is in my opinion their masterpiece. Stuff like the Nation album is almost laughable compared to their early stuff.