DEVIN TOWNSEND Talks Gear, Future Projects (Video)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Canadian multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter and producer Devin Townsend recently spoke to EMG TV about the gear he's using and what his plans are for the next album and tour. Check out the footage below.The debut album from Townsend's CASUALTIES OF COOL project was released without record-label backing. He told BluntMag.com.au about the sound of the CD: "If there's anybody who's new to what I do, who maybe heard 'Liberation' or some of the songs off 'Epicloud' and thought, 'This is really cool, I could get into this,' you're going to hate CASUALTIES. [laughs] I mean, really, it's as opposite of 'Epicloud' as 'Ghost' was to 'Deconstruction'. It's this weird, dark, not evil but verging on it, bluesy, Johnny Cash-y, strange, quiet folk record. But I love it, it's the one record that I've done over the past 10 or 15 years where I can truly say, 'This is where I am right now.'" Devin Townsend played a special concert October 27, 2012 at the Roundhouse venue in London, England as part of a one-night-only event, dubbed "The Retinal Circus", that was recorded for both DVD and Blu-ray, and was released on October 29, 2013 in North America (September 30 in Europe) via InsideOut Music."The Retinal Circus" was released on several formats, including a lavish and bonkers limited edition befitting of the man himself, and which took months of hard work to put together. Devin previously described "The Retinal Circus" as "a retrospective of my career in music to date, with the central theme being a metaphor of how life and the adventures therein are a 'circus' of sorts. The show involves a cast of characters and guests that support this theme through carnival type performances. A story about how a troubled young man dreams of fantastic scenarios (illustrated through the music of my back catalogue), which ultimately crests in the characters realization that life is all about the relationships we have with each other."

More...