J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Devin Townsend – Ziltoid the Omniscient
InsideOut – SPV 79500 – May 21, 2007
By Wayward_Son

ziltoid.jpg

Devin Townsend just happens to be one of those music artists. You know the type, Faithful Reader. He has a tremendously large catalogue of music yet, for the most part, only a handful of individuals laid claim to being a fan of it all. Strapping Young Lad, while interesting, just lacks that spark to make them worth the time. Devin Townsend’s best material is that which is released under his own name. Of course, Ocean Machine’s brilliant Biomech album is damn near essential. This writer’s favorite Devin Townsend album is the expansive Terria. To this day, that is the one album from this kooky Canadian that still is able to impress from beginning to end, and put a smile to the face. However, after Terria, it would be difficult for Devin Townsend to come up with something as massive. Perhaps he made the right decision by not even trying to repeat the sheer weight of those songs. Accelerated Evolution had some great songs, but was too inconsistent. Last year’s Synchestra was simply a disaster.

Ziltoid the Omniscient’s unveiling certainly surprised this writer. It was not expected so soon after the misstep that was Synchestra. Yet here it is, for better or worse. This one will, once again, be a favorite and a goat. It has all the trademark Devin Townsend ingredients, plus some new elements which will split the fans, and possibly gain him new ones. To put it bluntly, Ziltoid the Omniscient combines the quirkiness of Infinity, some of the speed of Physicist, and the story-telling of Bal-Sagoth.

For the most part, it works. The story follows a nerdy alien named Ziltoid who is after the Earth’s perfect cup of coffee, and the subsequent chase from Captain Spectacular, as well as more encounters, and the comical ending. Some songs work flawlessly with the voice-overs, especially ’Solar Winds’ which introduces Captain Spectacular, and engages us in an opus only Devin Townsend could bring. Smooth vocals, and almost ethereal guitar lines push the epic to the forefront, making the song one of the best on the album. Other highlights include the album introduction ’ZTO’, ’The Greys’, and the centerpiece, ’Hyperdrive’. This is what Devin Townsend’s music should sound like. Powerful, hypnotizing, and just plain entertaining.

No doubt the story-telling, and character voice-overs will turn many away. It does push the album into the realm of pure cheese. Yes, this writer does understand that the album was meant to be over the top, but Devin Townsend takes it a bit too far at times. Also, towards the end you’ll find yourself no longer caring about what happens to Ziltoid, as the songs tend to drag to the final conclusion, which is funny in a Devin Townsend sort of way.

Ziltoid the Omniscient is hardly the masterpiece many were hoping for. It is certainly worth owning, but older fans, like yours truly, will always turn towards Biomech or Terria to get their fix.

Official Devin Townsend Website
Official Inside Out Music Website

i agree about ocean machine but i think terria is over rated. infinity is his best album as far as pure songwriting brilliance goes.

the new album, ziltoid, is absolutely amazing and much better than the lackluster synchestra.

Ziltoid is incredible.

I own all Devin Townsend albums, all Strapping Young Lads, Ziltoid, and even Devlab and his work with Steve Vai. I guess I'm one of the handful of individuals you mentioned. :)

I didn't think the CD dragged at all, I thought it was downright perfect. And Tall Latte was a great ending to the CD, basically saying it was all just the dream of a guy who worked in a coffee shop. :D

I was a huge fan of Synchestra but that's probably because I love proggy music as well as metal and the prog side of me loved the hell out of it.

Synchestra was NOT a misstep. Are you listening to the same disc as me? Oceanmachine is mandatory. And Terria was/is good but, c'mon it;s not that good. Townsend is a fuckin' genius. Might be the best songwriter in Metal.