DI Question

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I have a Fireface 800, Great River MP1-NV, and a Radial JDI. My jackson guitar has EMG 81 active.

I have 2 questions:

1. For direct I have used the fireface hi z, the great river hi z. Both seem to not compliment the sound as much as I want. Is it just my ears or do I need a better DI?? (have not tried the radial yet...active pu's and passive box yes or no?)

2. Trying to go from the 5150 to my fireface. Same thing I am not getting that great of a sound going into the fireface seems to make the sound dull. Should I be going through a hi z input when coming from the 5150?

Any suggestions on a new DI box or should I be getting the sound I want with the equipment I have already said.

Check out the "Preparing Your Tracks..." thread, Oz said that he actually preferred his Radial J48 over the DI input on his Great River, so try out the JDI and don't worry about the active/passive business, just go with what sounds best! As for the second question, how exactly are you plugging your 5150 into the Fireface? From the FX send? If so, that should go into a standard line-in jack, not the Hi-Z input (and I assume you're using impulses, or it will most definitely sound crappy! :ill:)

I'm using the Hi-Z in of my API most of the time....son't actually know if it sounds better than my active Palmer DIs it's just easier and 2 connections/1 cable less....so I didn't bother and went that route.
I don't think API makes any bad product, same goes for GR so I think the Hi-Z in should be fine

Thanks! I have one more stoopid question actually 2.

1. (going direct to fireface) If my emg 81's are going through a od 820 pedal does that go into the line in or hi z?

From what I was reading on Preparing Your Tracks...Im a little confused.

2. With EMG 81's it seems like someone said with the output of the EMG 81's its fine to record into the line in on the fireface instead of imstrument line in??? Did I read that wrong?

1. If you mean you wanna go guitar --> OD820 --> Fireface, I think Hi-Z input, though I'm not certain - that'd be a time where you'd wanna try both and go with what works best (but if it's for reamping, you should use the OD820 during the reamp, as in, reamp box --> OD820 --> amp, and track your DI totally clean)

2. It'd be alright to go into the line in because EMG's send out a lower impedance signal, but still, instrument in would be better

So I tested the fireface instrument input, the radial jdi, fireface line in, and the great river hi z. To my ears the great river hi z colors the sound and makes it boomy (emg 81 and/or seymour duncan sh-4), the radial dulls the sound. Seems to me and tell me if Im nuts...but the fireface instrument input seems to win as well as the fireface line in (although that has a high twang to it).

What are your guys' thoughts on the fireface instrument input?

I'd imagine it's pretty killer, and seeing as how it's a Hi-Z input, there's plenty of reason to think it'd sound great - so what matters is that your thoughts are that it sounds the best!