DI Tracking Rule??

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Hi guys, I've been doing some Gtr DI and i had a few questions about it.
First is there a min lvl of db that the track needs to be at?? I asked cause when I played around with the kill switch RoS DI and reamp into my Mesa it sounded perfect like if I was playing it. But when I tried another DI from a band I recorded it sounded weak and lacked crunch. The Mesa had the same settings that I used for the RoS DI. I understand that Gtr, pickups, strings, A/d has something to do with it. It's just the other bands DI reminded me of how it sounds like if I was lowering the Volume pot of my Gtr. I used a Radial 48 an sent one signal to a eleven rack and the other into my Apogee Ensemble. Any input would be great.

Hi guys, I've been doing some Gtr DI and i had a few questions about it.
First is there a min lvl of db that the track needs to be at?? I asked cause when I played around with the kill switch RoS DI and reamp into my Mesa it sounded perfect like if I was playing it. But when I tried another DI from a band I recorded it sounded weak and lacked crunch. The Mesa had the same settings that I used for the RoS DI. I understand that Gtr, pickups, strings, A/d has something to do with it. It's just the other bands DI reminded me of how it sounds like if I was lowering the Volume pot of my Gtr. I used a Radial 48 an sent one signal to a eleven rack and the other into my Apogee Ensemble. Any input would be great.

try normalizing the other DI's and see if that fixes anything.

I spoke to Jeff last year about those DI's, its firstly the sound an Active pickup makes, Active pups clip the signal slightly and he used a RME FF-800 straight in for those DI's, so its not only playing but the combo of Active pups into the RME Fireface. Hope that helps man.