Did Blaze really say these things?

Tough As Steel

a.k.a. Aussie Dave
Feb 12, 2002
Canberra
Visit site
Now bear in mind that it was supposedly for an Italian magazine, and has been 'translated' by a poster on the IM BB, who is Italian. I don't know if it's a wind-up.....but if he did say these things.... :eek:

Here it is an interview from the Italian magazine "Metal Shock", which took place at the "Gods Of Metal" festival (June) on the 1st day (Blaze played on the 2nd). Mr. Bayley has something to say...

METAL SHOCK: Hi Blaze, I’m Aldo of Metal Shock, may I ask you some questions?
BLAZE BAYLEY: Hi, sure, no problem!

MS: First of all, how are you?
BB: Pretty well, thanks, I am looking forward to getting on this stage tomorrow and playing!

MS: Great! I see you haven’t lost your typical pluck!
BB: Of course [laughs]. How did you like my new record?

MS: Oh, to be honest I found it a bit below par and less incisive than “Silicon Messiah”...
BB: Well, mmh... In my opinion it’s more obscure and heavier than “Silicon”, but I can understand...

MS: Has the idea of reforming Wolfsbane and playing again that powerful rock n’ roll ever flashed through your mind?
BB: No, that’s a closed chapter that I don’t think I’ll reopen. Times changed and reforming Wolfsbane nowadays wouldn’t make sense any more. You know, after all ten years ago there were a market and a scene that let us go ahead, today, too many things have changed...

MS: Did you like “Brave New World?”
BB: Yes, it seemed a good record to me [he said that with a rather sad tone in his voice]

MS: Excuse me, can I ask you some hot questions?
BB: Sure, I don’t have any problem.

MS: Ok, thank you. I consider you to be a great singer, but with Maiden your abilities weren’t quite brought out...
BB: In which sense?

MS: Simple: you aren’t Dickinson, I mean, you have got a singing style different from Bruce’s one and Iron Maiden, instead of esteeming your skills, imposed you styles which didn’t belong to you, i.e. Bruce’s...
BB: Well... in fact it’s true. I knew myself I wasn’t Bruce, but in the end what was I supposed to do, they wanted this and I tried every way to accomplish what they were telling me. But even if I was Blaze and not Bruce, I had to be Maiden’s singer and nothing else, I had to sing what they wanted me to, my technical needs were of secondary importance.

MS: Do you use the plural to be “correct”, or because decisions in Maiden are really taken together?
BB: In which sense?

MS: Tell me the truth, does Steve Harris take all the decisions or not?
BB: Maiden are Steve Harris and it’s obvious that he is the one who takes all the decisions.

MS: Excuse me, I have a thesis to show to you: some think that the Maiden reunion has been a sort of toll story with a vague commercial taste. I’ll tell you even more, it seems that up to this day the personal relation between Dickinson and Harris isn’t exactly rosy...
BB: Surely every doubt is allowed... As for the relation between Steve and Bruce, I can’t tell you anything, while regarding the commercial aspects, it seems unlikely that it took place for other reasons than economic ones...

MS: Getting to the core, is it possible that the rest of the band play with Harris for economic motivations?
BB: [a moment of reflection] Yes...

MS: Steve Harris today, is he an entrepreneur or a metal head?
BB: I am a metal head, I live on metal, I believe in heavy metal. Steve Harris doesn’t...

MS: Ok, concluding, looking to your past, are you happy of the period you stayed in Maiden?
BB: Certainly! The years I lived with Maiden were the most beautiful of my life! I went around the world, I sang some great songs. Apart from the events, either good or bad, I owe a lot to Iron Maiden, they gave me much and I owe them much, thanks to them I grew very much and I can’t but be happy for this!

[At the end of the interview, we took some photos with Blaze and accidentally we made his baseball hat fall down: Blaze’s much suspected baldness wasn’t a myth but the reality.]

Interview by Metal Shock
Translation by myself (the italian dude, not me...y'know Dave)

Yeah i wouldnt blame him for saying those things. On one hand he would be bitter that Maiden ousted him, but in the other he must be pleased that he has had the opportunity to make at least one album - Tenth Dimension (need to give Silicon another go) that blows the arse off anything Maiden did in the 90's and stands up very well against BNW.

While it's always a bit sus, to rely on anything posted on the IM BB, some of his comments do ring true, so it could very well be legit.

I think it's a real interview which just lost a bit in the translation - it would have been English to Italian to English, so it's sure to be at least slightly different to what was originally said (unless Blaze can speak Italian!).

Hmmmm I like interviews like that! There must be loads lost/buggered up in the translation though.

I think Silicon Messiah is better than Tenth Dimension, but both rock :D

I dont think he is saying anything too bad there actually, id much rather see honesty than a bum sucking interview :D

It sounds like the truth but i find it unlikly that blaze would say that sort of stuff about maiden. In every other interview i have read he praises maiden or avoids the topic.
but we all know that every thing that was written there is pretty much true,
except maybe the bit about the only reason they reformed is for money.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Blaze probably respected his honesty. He has probably had to listen to alot of ass lickers sucking up to him over it as of late...

That and he's probably too nice a guy to do anything about it. It probably also took him completely off guard and he simply didn't know what to say!