Did In Flames foreshadow COVID?

galvanized

Nov 6, 2016
I, The Mask was released exactly one year before the COVID-19 pandemic caused shut downs across the world.

As we know, the mask has polarized the world and become a heated political topic in some countries like the United States. Just wearing a mask can invoke anger and attract violence towards you.

Now we look back at the title and theme of I, The Mask in a different light. What does the mask represent? Some say the virus came from bats, some say from a lab. But has anyone considered that Anders or the label created this virus and spread it to promote their band and work?

I imagine this year or maybe next, at Borgholm Brinner, we will see Anders, Bjorn, and the other guys all taking off their masks and lighting them ablaze at the beginning of the show. Truly showing The Mask In Flames before proceeding to play the album in full.

Let this thread be a discussion of discoveries as we examine the music and lyrics of I, The Mask and its foreshadowing of the COVID-19 pandemic and as we explore what The Mask means today.

Last edited:
I, the Mask, feat. Jon Schaffer.

"Here I am, wearing a mask
A Trumper who wants to be free"

[sound of a jail cell door being shut]

As we know, the mask has polarized the world and become a heated political topic in some countries like the United States. Just wearing a mask can invoke anger and attract violence towards you.

Unrelated but I usually think about United States when I listen to the chorus of "Black and White":

"I've come to the conclusion - yes, I know
That between black and white
There is no room for two"

Sad.

That's just a part of Anders powers as a seer.

Sober and Irrelevant anticipated Jesper leaving the band and forming Cyhra while Sleepless Again talked about the future problems that Peter was going to have during the touring periods just before he left the band. And I won't say anything about the booklet from STYE.

9/11 too.

"Raping the statue of Liberty [...] invades the N.Y. skyline"

Seriously though, I believe Jotun is about a nuclear war. First there's a warning, then the actual event, then the aftermath and finally a plead to do something before it's too late (to "identify the time bomb coded in our DNA")

What about the STYE booklet? My copy is in the basement as I seldom listen from CDs anymore. I can only remember it featured band members' childhood pictures?

Yeah, can't find a picture of it online but Sundin edited Anders into an old dude and it's fairly accurate to how he looks today.

So Sundin knew Anders was a hipster dick long before he actually confirmed it via his choice of haircut, clothing, glasses, etc. Interesting.