Did Jacob Hansen produce the new album?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hey Stefan or anyone else that may know:

Did Jacon Hansen produce the new album? If so, is there a special reason you decided to do that? Personally, I've always felt that all three Wolverine discs are great production wise, and don't really think a collaboration with Jacob Hansen would work. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Hansen's work, as I feel he overcompresses any music he works on.

Still, I look forward to the new album. It's been too long...

As I said on the PM board as well, it depends on how you define "produce". He wasn't involved musically at all, he only mixed the album and he did an absolute fantastic job! t's maybe not the kind of music he's used to mixing but I think that's exacty what makes it sound so good! Everything sounds a bit bigger and maybe more "modern" than before, but Wolverine is always going to be Wolverine no matter the colour you paint it with! :)

Thanks, man. I was a bit worried because whenever bands whose music I like work with Jacob Hansen I feel the sound is way too compressed for my tastes. I much prefer the open, organic sound of The Window Purpose or Still. Now I don't know what the new one sounds like, but to me it's like, when touched by JH, the whole sound turns into a huge grey smear gushing out the speakers like blocks of sound and I don't like that in prog.

Would that description fit the new Wolverine in your opinion? I'm glad you're happy with the results. What made you guys hook up with him anyway?

Thanks for your reply, Marcus. I'm dying to hear your new work!

...and on the question on why we chose to use Jacob on the album. Originally Christian "Moschus" Moos at Spacelab was supposed to do the mixing as he have done before but unfortunately he was already booked. He didn't have an open slot until much later. So I was asking around on forums and so on for suggestions about different producers who would fit to take on the task and Jacobs name came up. I wasn't familliar at all with his previous work so I checked some of his stuff out. He has mostly done extreme metal stuff so it wasn't easy to get a picture how a Wolverine album would sound in his hands, but I was curious. Whether you like his work or not you can always hear that he knows his craft. I started having some conversations with him by email and I think he was as curious as me how this would turn out. It seemed that he really wanted to do it so my thought was that if a person has the will to do something, he probably has a will to do it good. So yes, it was a little bit of a gamble but I had a gut feeling that it felt right. Retrospectivly, I think we made the right decision! :)