Diecast - Internal Revolution

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Diecast - Internal Revolution
Century Media Records - CD 77621-2 - November 20th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

Diecast-InternalRevolution.jpg

The new Diecast album, Internal Revolution, has been sitting around here quite a while, mocking me until I could finally muster up the courage to give the review a shot. The main reason the review is so difficult is because Internal Revolution is neither a good album, nor a bad one. It is overwhelmingly average with the exception of a few genuinely interesting performances here and there, like the fast (but low mixed) guitar sweeps on the title track and opener. Apart from the standard songwriting, it suffers from overly clean and weak production. The intentions of hardcore and metalcore (which Diecast seem to mix quite a bit on this album) is to be heavy, melodic, and energetic enough to mosh to. Sure the energy is there, but it seems a bit neutered. Diecast is another one of those bands building off of the success of bands like Killswitch Engage, and the obvious comparisons can be drawn. They've got some similar songwriting, and chunky riffs. Also the vocalist's inflection is pretty similar to that of Howard Jones. The track that is most obviously influenced by KillSwitch would be 'Fade Away', which is the big hit single or whatever.

This is definitely one that requires several listens, yet even after so many listens - for me at least - I still wasn't getting too much out of Internal Revolution. Some of the melodies and vocal lines became more and more addictive with each successive listen, but as a whole the album still just doesn't jump off of the canvas. That's not to say it is entirely bad, not at all. Diecast are doing it better than a TON of the countless metalcore spawns are doing, they just aren't crossing the line into greatness just yet. They've got the potential and the technology: they CAN build a great metalcore album, but they just haven't yet, unfortunately. Of course 'Fade Away' is the most standout track on the album with the soaring vocal lines, and a chorus that is as addictive as a drug. The title track, 'Internal Revolution', is also a standout track with nice guitar lead work, and a nicely executed set of melodic rhythms. 'Hourglass' is another standout, yet the corny delivery of the vocal lines and lyrics detract a bit from the experience. 'Definition Of A Hero' is a bit ridiculous as well. It sounds like a Lamb Of God influenced track, and the lyrics are honest and have good intentions, but are downright silly. The chorus of "Unite! Fight for what's right!" just make it worse. However, if the troops happen to come across Internal Revolution, they may love the song in which case it would be a good thing. This is definitely one to check out if you're into metalcore, but it isn't guaranteed to satisfy your metal lust.

Pros:
- Plenty of addictive melodies, if you give them time to grow on you!
- There is obviously talent here, which is shown in the guitar lead performances.
- Better than most of the metalcore bands that come to the surface.
- The screams are pretty great.
- Better than their last album, 'Tearing Down Your Blue Skies'.
- Cover by Travis Smith, it is quite nice.

Cons:
- It is pretty boring a lot of the time.
- The clean vocals can occasionally drift off key, like on 'The Coldest Rain'.
- The album is way too clean and over-produced.
- 'Fade Away' is the most outstanding song here, but you could hear similar from KillSwitch Engage.
- The rhythm guitar work leaves much to be desired.

Official Diecast Website
Official Century Media Records Website

I agree with you alot, but i think there last album is fucking awesome this is way less. There last was heavy and alot of hardcore and less metalcore, and it just slayed. This album seems like diecast wants the commercial success killswitch has and just wont get it. This album is def better then the new killswitch but for diecast it just lacks, I mean yeah its easy listenable but it gets rather boring quick.