Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DIES IRAE – THE SIN WAR
Metal Blade - 2002

Dies-Irae-sin200.jpg

By Rodrigo Escandon

When you have a band with two members who are very prominent in another band comparisons are bound to occur. Such is the case with Dies Irae who features both Doc and Mauser from the Polish death metal giants Vader. These comparisons are unavoidable when the case arises of having the lesser or not as well know band, Dies Irae, sounding extremely similar to the well established one, Vader.

When I listen to The Sin War I can’t help but feel that I have heard all of this before from a better band. The drumming is extremely similar to the last album by Vader but here it sounds worse. I do not know why that is the case but the drums just don’t sound as good and for a drummer like Doc, his sound needs to be perfect. The guitars might not have such similarities as Vader’s, there is more technicality and more melody but once again I come to the fact that I have heard this before. Finally, the singing by Nowy is nowhere near as goods as Vader’s Peter.

Maybe it is not fair that I compare this album and the band to Vader but like I said earlier, it is unavoidable. Dies Irae is just a bad side project from members that have shown that they can do much better than what was offered in The Sin War and that is why I gave the constant comparisons. Avoid the temptation of acquiring this album just because it features members of Vader. There are tons of better death metal albums than this one.

Metal Blade Website