Differences between a 10$ mic and a good one?

Jun 23, 2004
Hello guys,

I used to record my death vocals on a headset-mic for 10 bucks for 3 months and I think they aren't bad now. But still they have a really crappy quality. And the tone is sometimes very scratchy instead of clean.
The point is, I'm not sure how much my mic is responsible for the relatively bad quality. So is there anyone who can tell me the difference? Should I buy an expensive mic for 200+ bucks?

Or at best:
Is there a good death vocalist who can upload a record of him singing in a good mic and one singing in a normal headset-mic?

The difference is like night and day.

The cheaper mic's are made for everyday use and they're not expected to handle the sound levels that professional microphones are. Remember, singing is actually just pleasant screaming, if you're doing it right. The volume levels of someone singing properly are the same as if they were yelling. Cheap $10 mic's like you'll find with cassette recorders aren't meant to handle that kind of volume.

Try a Shure SM-58. They're not too expensive and they usually handle up-close, high volume sound levels well. You can do your Death Metal vocalizing and the sound won't be all broken up.

Shure is quality as evidenced by many people in the industry using them. The SM-58 is great for the dough. You don't need a $200 mic unless you are building yourself a home studio. Sennheiser is also a good brand. I have one and it sounds great.

i wish i had asked this question earlier, good idead. i too will follow in pursuit of that mic.

The first mic you should buy even if you don't play an instrument is a Shure SM57. It is an instrument mic, but is very popular and easy to find at a reasonable price. As you progress into your vocals, you can always sell it for nearly what you paid for it (especially if you buy one used) and you can't find a vocal mic that sounds much better for the price. I would say the SM57 is THE best bang for the buck general duty mic money can buy.

Bryant

I think I'll try the SM 58. The price is nearly the same.

But I have a really dumb question:
I just record at home and don't have any recording equipment. Is it possible to put the mic into a soundcard or do i need an amp or somehing?

Ravaging Dragon said:
I think I'll try the SM 58. The price is nearly the same.

But I have a really dumb question:
I just record at home and don't have any recording equipment. Is it possible to put the mic into a soundcard or do i need an amp or somehing?

Not a dumb question at all.

What you'll have to do is check your soundcard.

Does it have an input that is about 1/2" in diameter with 3 pins in a triangular formation sticking out in it or three holes? If it does, that soundcard is ready for a professional mic.

If you're using one with 1/8" jack inputs, you're going to have to take a trip to the local Radio Shack or music store (and, I recommend Radio Shack because they usually cost less than the music stores for adapters) to buy some adapters because the XLR cable that is used with the Shure mics will not plug into the soundcard. You'll probably need two adapters. One adapter that will connect the XLR end of the microphone cable and make it possible to use it with a 1/4" jack; and then one which will connect the 1/4" plug to a 1/8" jack that you'll be able to plug into your soundcard. The salespeople should be able to help you at the store if I'm not putting this across in print right. Just bring in your XLR cable to them and tell them that you'll need the appropriate adapters so that you can hook it up to your soundcard.

Also, there is the possibility that your soundcard will not be able to provide the power that is necessary to the Shure so that you'll be able to use it for recording on your computer. Some microphones need a pre-amplifier or else you may run into a situation where your sound signal will be very low, no matter how high you try to mix it. If this happens, you'll have to head back to the music store to purchase a preamp, but I don't think you'll be having too much trouble with the microphone.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks. I'll just take my soundcard with me when buying the mic and ask the people in the store.

But one last question:
If I need a Preamp (my soundcard is a bit old: Soundblaster Live! 1024), how much costs one?