Different twins DNA sparks Divorce

Iron Zombius

Sep 6, 2007
A Turkish man decided to divorce his wife after DNA tests showed he was the father of only one of their twin boys, the mass-circulation Sabah newspaper has reported.

Suspicious that his wife had been unfaithful the security guard from Istanbul identified only as AK, had DNA tests performed on the three-year-olds.

The tests established with a 99.99 per cent certainty that he was the father of only one of the boys, Sabah reported, adding that the result was confirmed by a forensic medicine institute upon the request of the court handling the ongoing divorce case.

The mother, identified as CK, had maintained a relationship with a lover she had dated before her family forced her to marry AK, the daily said.

The phenomenon of twins with different fathers, known scientifically as heteropaternal superfecundation, is very rare in humans, though more common in animals such as cats and dogs.

It becomes possible in rare circumstances when a woman produces two ova in one menstrual cycle, explained Professor Rusen Aytac, head of the gynaecology department at Ankara University's medical faculty.

"And if this woman has sexual intercourse with two different men at short intervals, this can result in a twin pregnancy, with each egg carrying a different genetic material," he said.

AK kept the boy he had fathered and disowned the other one, which ended up in a state care institution, Sabah said.

CK, for her part, has received death threats both from her own and her husband's family and secured a court order preventing relatives from coming within 500 metres of her, it added.

-AFP

I always wondered if it was possible for that to happen! I wonder why the father wondered if it was his. It must have looked nothing like him.

It's extremely rare but not unheard of. I read another story about a young girl (16 I think) who was impregnanted but had another egg released and was knocked up the following day as well

I wonder what the mathematical chances of having two sets of identical twins would be

interesting question, so i looked into it a bit

Odds of Multiples

Odds of Having Twins and Higher:

Fraternal Twin Rates:

Japan: 6 per 1000 births are fraternal twins (1 in 166)
Nigeria: 45 per 1000 (1 in 22)
USA: 11 per 1000 (1 in 90)

Identical Twin Rates:

3.5 per 1000 ( 1 in 285) (this figure seems to be universal and random)

Conjoined Twins:

1 in 50,000

Overall Twin Rates:

White Americans/White Europeans: 14.5 in 1000 (1 in 69)
Black Americans: 1 in 60 (but as low as 1 in 40)
Japanese: 1 in 150
Chinese: 1 in 250
Mixed Asian: 1 in 125
Nigerian: 1 in 22
Norway, Denmark, Netherlands: 1 in 49
England: 1 in 76

These statistics are not infallible. The use of fertility treatments will cause the number of twin births to become higher, so they could be as high as 1 in 38 with the use of fertility drugs, to about 1 in 68 without (for all types of twins).

1 in 50 people is a fraternal twin in the USA, and 1 in 150 is an identical twin. 1/3 of all twins born in the US are identical, but in Japan the figure is 2/3.

Triplets:

White Americans: 1 in 8100 chance
Black Americans: 1 in 9800 chance

I believe these stats were for spontaneous conception of triplets.

Other stats I have recently seen which include spontaneous and fertility treatments:

Triplet Rate 1989: 69.2 per 100, 000 (1 in 1445)
Triplet Rate 1995: 127.5 per 100,000 (1 in 784)

Hellin's Law:

Hellin's Law states that before the advent of fertility methods, the natural occurrence of multiples would be as follows:

Twins 1 in 90 live births
Triplets 1 in 8,100 live births
Quadruplets 1 in 729,000 live births
Quintuplets 1 in 65,610,000 live births

Those numbers have lowered to 1 in 38 for twins with fertility methods, as well as lowering the numbers for all other multiples. It is estimated that 60% of triplets are from fertility treatments, 90% of quadruplets are from fertility treatments, and 99% of quintuplets are due to fertility treatments.

More Than One Set?:

If you have had fraternal twins already, your chance of having another set quadruples. This is because most women who conceive fraternals (without fertility drugs) show a pattern of releasing more than one egg per cycle. Your chance of a second set numerically, is about 1 in 3000.

If a woman has one set of identicals, her chance of having another is 1 in 70,000 or less.

If You Are A Twin (Or Have Twins In Your Family):

If you are a fraternal twin, you have a 1 in 17 chance of having twins. If you are identical, it doesn't affect your chances, and they remain from 1 in anywhere from 38 - 90, depending on if fertility drugs are used or not. If your mother is a fraternal twin, you may have a higher than average chance of twins. If you father is a twin, it doesn't affect your chances, as fraternal twinning is apparently carried down the maternal line.

If you have a parent that is an identical twin, your chances of having twins yourself are the same as anyone else.

Note: Please note that these statistics were collected from many resources, and are most likely not completely accurate. I am aware that many of the numbers contradict each other as well. I am always trying to find accurate information, and will update when I can.

Simple answer...odds are huge

There's another potential issue, human chimerism.

Read about it in New Scientist a while back.

First reasonable case was when a MOTHER failed a DNA test of a child, but her brother showed the closest match in all the adult family. Looked impossible.

Ultimately turned out that she was a case of fraternal twins who had merged, and her reproductive parts had different DNA to the rest of her body (eg saliva swabs etc....She was the mother as it turned out.

Article went on to explain that DNA testing should be of the type in which the sample is found. Skin under nails should have a skin DNA test, saliva/saliva etc.

So the father could have had one nut from a fraternal twin, and had the same outcome.

I doubt it strongly 'though.