DigiTech Death Metal Distortion Pedal!

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
:lol: :lol:

I know that this isn't especially relevant, but I couldn't help but laugh heartily at DigiTech's description of their Death Metal pedal:

"The legendary Death Metal pedal is by far the most extreme distortion you will ever hear. Simply put, we have turned the gain up to “eleven” and ripped the knob off. Level, Low, Mid, and High tone controls provide flexible tone shaping, so even though this distortion is over the top, your guitar is guaranteed to cut through."

I think it's hilarious that people actually read that and think, "Wow, must be good!". It doesn't even try to describe it in serious terms, just in a WWE Smackdown! kind of way. Haha, and I love how it says "...even though this distortion is over the top, your guitar is guaranteed to cut through"...like they're trying to justify that the $35 brand new, absolutely wretched terrible sound becomes a positive thing because you can hear it so well in a mix! :lol:

Hmm, I'd like to compare it with other pedals out there...
[Poll] Which one kicks more @ss, Digitech or Behringer?
Bah, i'd rather play through a cowbell, and THAT would stand out in a mix...

Well I think DigiTech Death Metal is one of their best selling stomp boxes.
I can clearly remember to have seen it more than 13 years ago at my local music store.
That pedals survived almost every rock era: from metal to grunge to numetal to metal core ahahahh
It's relly old and famous, but as you said Aaron that pedal sounds like shit no matter of 1 or 3 knobs ahahahh :lol: :lol:

The Tubescreamer has been around for ages too, and we all now how good the various TS808's and TS9's sound.
Nevertheless, Ibanez managed to produce the TS7 and the whole Tonelok series that, IMHO, sound almost as crap as the Digi, and the soundtank series was even worse...

....... and the soundtank series was even worse...

From the archive you posted

TS5 TUBESCREAMER
The same basic circuitry as the famed TS9 Tube Screamer in a more economical format (the TS9 has a more expensive housing and its handwiring makes it more labor intensive to build than the TS5). Most people can't hear the difference between the our affordable Soundtank Tubescreamer and the more expensive originals. Are you one of the few who can?-why not find out for yourself.

ahahah hilarious!!!!

Oh no! More of these Ultra Heavy Metal pedals. I cant stand them, Ive owned a digitech metal master and Boss metal zone, they are just hi fuzz pedals for people who havent found their tone yet (give it a few more years).

Their descriptions are always something similar and laughable :p When Infact they all sound very similar, sterile, fuzzy, cheap and nasty!

Most people can't hear the difference between the our affordable Soundtank Tubescreamer and the more expensive originals

Sure, pick around 20 punkheaded dumbasses from off the streets and any 2 average-experienced guitarists, then MOST of them couldn't tell the difference between a crap sounding pedal and their sisters' supercharged vibrator...

I guitarist I know uses it in front of his Mode Four - now imagine that! :D

Haha
I used to play through a Mode Four at band practice (It didn't belong to me) and I got my new 6505+ last Monday. Fucking hell that Mode Four is crap it's all volume and gain nothing else. It's muddy as hell, the 6505+ is unbelievably tight. Admittedly the Mode Four does sound better when you stick a TS9 in front of it, but it still doesn't compare to the 6505+ (especially with the TS9).

But I don’t need to tell you guys that a 5150 II and tube screamer is where it’s at for tone, because this is this Andy Sneap’s Ultimate Metal Forum. LOL

All volume I agree, I dont think its got enough gain, even with the scoop off its too scooped. Muddy and not very tight at all. Cant wait to sell up.

Beginners would never think of putting a OD pedal (e.g tube screamer) with an amps overdrive.

They'll just put a Metalzone on some bullshit solid state amp's clean channel.
*threw up a little in my mouth*

P.S Nile use Mode Four, lol

Beginners would never think of putting a OD pedal (e.g tube screamer) with an amps overdrive.

I wasn't a total n00b, but I figured out I could get some cool tones running various dirt pedals (Boss SD-1, DS-1, one of the ODs off the GT-3) in front of my Marshall Valvestate after a couple years of playing.

For what it's worth, the Metal Zone is actually pretty cool as a boost pedal. The gain side of the pedal is total bees-in-a-can tone, but it's got a hefty level boost and a serious parametric EQ section. Boss actually used to make a parametric EQ pedal; I've wanted to get my hands on one of those for a while.

As for Nile's rigs, I've never heard anything about them using Mode Fours. One of the guys on here- cobrahead1030- knows them; they use a Peavey Rockmaster pre into a Marshall poweramp and three JCM 2000 DSL 100s. And a shitload of cabs.

I wasn't a complete idiot when I first started playing guitar. Within 3 months of starting I bought myself a Zoom 707 II and used the 5150 amp simulator on that (the patch was L-drv). So I knew what sounded good, even if the Zoom 707 II was rather cheap and crappy.

My friend Shaun said something a while ago along the lines of "You put a pedal into a gain channel??? I've never heard that before!!"

Yes you have, you just don't realize it :lol:

Exactly

But, it does take time to train your ear, to know what good tone is and how it's created