Dimmu Borgir - Alive in Torment

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DIMMU BORGIR – ALIVE IN TORMENT
Nuclear Blast - 2002

By Rodrigo

About a month and a half ago this limited edition shaped live EP was released just as Dimmu Borgir was making its way across the US in their latest tour. Alive in Torment contains five songs from their last three studio releases and it’s a great addition to any fan’s collection. The songs are recorded from a show in Stuttgart and the sound is raw, loud, and heavy. Every instrument is heard perfectly especially the drumming, they absolutely sound brutal in this recording. The crowd itself can only be heard in between songs and in slower parts of the songs but this is not a complaint.

The songs itself are "Tormentor of Christian Souls" from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, which I think sounds better than the studio version, "The Blazing Monoliths of Defiance" and "The Insight and the Catharsis" from Spiritual Black Dimensions, my favorite song of this EP and that middle part where the keyboards take charge and with Shagrath’s singing just sounds awesome! The two songs from Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia are "Puritania" and "The Maelstrom Mephisto". These might not have been the ones I would have chosen from that album but their selection makes sense and they add to the aggressive nature of this EP. Personally, I would have liked to hear "Kings of the Carnival Creation" but everyone always has that one song they want on a live album.

About the only other complaint is that this EP is too damn short! It’s just about 25 minutes long and as soon as it ends you just want to hear more and more. Luckily, a live DVD is coming out in May to quench my thirst for more. If you are a fan of Dimmu Borgir I highly recommend you find this EP, its well worth it.

Nuclear Blast Website
Dimmu Borgir Official Website