Dio! Dio! Dio!

Eagle

Raging Heathen!
Sep 10, 2002
Northern Shores Of The Humber
Visit site
Last night I ventured into the heathen wastelands known as Manchester to witness Dio give a mighty display of hard rock and traditional metal.

The setlist was something like this:

Killing The Dragon
Egypt (The Chains Are On)/Children Of The Sea (Medley)
Push
Stand Up And Shout
Rock And Roll
Don't Talk To Strangers
Man On The Silver Mountain/Long Live Rock N Roll (medley)
Lord Of The Last Day
Fever Dreams
Holy Diver
The Last In Line
Heaven And Hell
Rainbow In The Dark
Also included Guitar Solo by Doug Aldrich and Drum Solo by Simon Wright.

The support included Dawson and Oliver's Saxon (I missed most of their set) who seemed to go down very well with the crowd.

Ronnie's voice was as shrill and powerful as I've ever seen him and for an old 'ish' geezer he certainly moves around a lot and he was his usual crowd friendly self.

Bloodstock Material? Yes - I think so!

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Yep, Dio was great in London on Friday, and I'd love to see him at Bloodstock. Even though he's getting on a bit, his voice is still as strong as ever, and this was definitely a better performance than when he supported Alice Cooper last year. OD Saxon were a bit of a joke, though, looking like a parady of an aging rock band. Let's face it, Saxon is Biff, no matter what Oliver and Dawson may claim.

OD Saxon were a bit of a joke, though, looking like a parady of an aging rock band. Let's face it, Saxon is Biff, no matter what Oliver and Dawson may claim.

With the peroxide mullets and the spandex tights they did look a bit like a mid 80s Motley Crue tribute band. I missed most of their set but from where I was standing the majority of the crowd loved them in Manchester.