Dio in Manchester.

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
Me and Sammi went to see Dio at the Manchester Academy last night.

Doors opened at 7.30pm, and we decided to get in the venue early because we weren't sure what time Dio would be on stage because there was no support. As we got in there, there was a sign saying Dio were gonna be on stage at 8.30pm. Now, bands never come on when they are supposed to, but lo and behold, 8.30pm on the dot Dio hits the stage!

Dio started with 'Tarot Woman', then played 'Sign Of The Southern Cross/One Night In The City'. Then a screen came down and a short video was played, and then it was into the complete 'Holy Diver' album. There was no talking inbetween songs, it was just into each song. And how great does the 'Holy Diver' album sound live!

The only down point was the dreaded solos. Now anyone who knows me, knows my views on solos........BORING!!! We were given the 'pleasure' of a drum solo (this was particularly boring), a keyboard solo, and a guitar solo. Some people like them, I certainly don't.

Anyway, after the 'Holy Diver' album was completed, it was 'The Gates Of Babylon' and 'Heaven And Hell', and off the band went. After a few minutes they came back on stage and played 'The Last In Line', 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll', and 'Man On A Silver Mountain'. Then it was off stage again, only to return for the final number 'We Rock'. I think that was pretty much the whole setlist, but I may have left out a song or two. Dio played for two hours. Ronnie was in fine voice, and the crowd were certainly up for it. It wasn't a sell out, but it was pretty close to it.

All in all it was a very good night. I couldn't get into it like I would do for a Saxon gig, but it was still a good night. If you can get to one of the Dio gigs, then do so, you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like a gooun mate.This is a bit of mtal week for you innit.I only ever saw Dio once and i gone off him at the time.Then came on stage at Monsters Of Rock and was fucking great.He blew me away.I remember Neon Knights and Die Young.That alone is surprising because i pissed as a cunt.

Holy Diver is an awesome album and live must have been great. I know what you mean about the solos, particularly drum solos for me.......... DULL !

I saw Dio 5 years back at the Astoria and much as the show was great the night was spoilt by a long running punch up throughout his set. Two old rockers, one of whom didn't like people enjoying themselves or so it seemed???

i went on sat night and also went to saxon sunday and tuesday
my ears are still ringing from saxon but i have to say the dio gig was dire
poor sound from ronnies mic crap solos and christ does doug aldrich know a bloody song by dio he just about killed the gig single handed Saxon on the other hand played for 2 20 mins in nottingham played songs off the cuff and had fun with the crowd ......... and there all british...... support our own bands and we might have a monsters of rock festival worth going to
ps i am a dio fan just well and trully fucked off with sat night
pps am i getting old or should i take my phone to gigs in the future so i can text my mates throughout the entire gig