Disappointed about the cancelled NYC show

Queens Mosher

New Metal Member
May 6, 2003
The boys are from here, how can they not have a show in their own hometown?!

It's my fault for not seeing Anthrax live for years. Like many people, I slowly stopped listening to metal in the '90s when alternative music ruled the radio. But I am listening to tons more metal lately, and I am exicted about the new album. Finally getting around to admitting that Bush is a much better singer than Belladonna.

The only time I saw Anthrax live was during the Headbanger's Ball tour in 1989 at the Felt Forum (which changed to the Paramount, and is now called the Theater at Madison Square Garden.) What a rocking show! We were moshing in the aisles when the security guards weren't around.

Hopefully the will do a proper NYC show soon. Maybe it will be better to wait and see them as headliners instead of openers. But the Motorhead/Anthrax double bill would have been cool!

dutchy said:
my mistake, I knew I was close!!

No, it is not close. Asbury Park is over 60 miles away, which is over 100 kilometers. This location is not a venue change, it's an entirely different concert, I don't know who Anthrax is trying to kid. Different city, sheesh it's in a completely different state! Add in the fact that many in NYC do not own cars makes Asbury Park too far away. It would take a few hours by public transportation. Plus, it is in New Jersey which has a horrible transportion system. We should I do that instead of going to Roseland which is closeby? No thank you. I would have considered Hoboken/Jersey City, but Asbury Park is a compelely different region.

I am going to wait for a proper NYC show.

You should know that the train time from NYC is every hour on the :08 and the total travel time is 1 hour and 41 minutes. The last train out of Asbury Park is 12:06 am. Actually the transportation system is pretty
efficient. This will be a great show. Too bad you won't be there.

Queens Mosher said:
The boys are from here, how can they not have a show in their own hometown?!

It's my fault for not seeing Anthrax live for years. Like many people, I slowly stopped listening to metal in the '90s when alternative music ruled the radio. But I am listening to tons more metal lately, and I am exicted about the new album. Finally getting around to admitting that Bush is a much better singer than Belladonna.

The only time I saw Anthrax live was during the Headbanger's Ball tour in 1989 at the Felt Forum (which changed to the Paramount, and is now called the Theater at Madison Square Garden.) What a rocking show! We were moshing in the aisles when the security guards weren't around.

Hopefully the will do a proper NYC show soon. Maybe it will be better to wait and see them as headliners instead of openers. But the Motorhead/Anthrax double bill would have been cool!

I am pretty sure the show conflicted with Motorhead's other upcoming tour, so don't blame Anthrax.

Tat2dluvchylde said:
You should know that the train time from NYC is every hour on the :08 and the total travel time is 1 hour and 41 minutes. The last train out of Asbury Park is 12:06 am.

One hour and fortyone minutes? Damn, that is a long train ride. Throw in the commute on the subway to get to Penn station, and the total time is over two hours. Plus, the venue is a mile away from the train station. Not much of a walk, but it sucks when you need to rush to get the last train.

Also, the last train out of Asbury Park is 12:06am, but there will be no connection in Long Branch. The last train from Long Branch to NYC is at 11:34pm. To get that train, you need to catch the 9:51pm from Asbury Park. In other words, if you need to return to NYC, you would need to leave the concert by 9:30pm, missing the headliners. I doubt anyone from NYC will be going.

jdelpi said:
I am pretty sure the show conflicted with Motorhead's other upcoming tour, so don't blame Anthrax.

I never blamed Anthrax. It was entirely Clear Channel's fault for the mishap. What I found funny was that the website said the concert wasn't cancelled, just moved. It's like saying church is closed today, but you can go to the synagouge: completely different places! Asbury Park is quite far away from NYC.

Looking at the tour schedule, I knew it wasn't possible to reschudle the show without Motorhead. No doubt they will return to NYC where they belong. I can wait another few more months. Hopefully they will play a non-Clear Channel venue like the Bowery Ballroom. How about a Lamour show!