Distant Satellites

Completely underwhelmed by this album. Weather Systems is absolutely amazing, and one of my top albums of recent years... Distant Satellites just seemed really rushed and uninspired. Hate to say it too because I love everything this band has done prior to this.

Been meaning to write a review on it.

First of all... I had a hard time with WHBWH in the beginning thinking many songs were repetitive and boring (except Angels Walk Among Us that was an instant hit). Had similar feelings with Weather Systems at first (it also had an instant hit The Beginning and The End, might be the best track they have done in years imo) but it felt better and grew on me fast, both those albums grew with time and I really love Weather Systems. But Distant Satellites?... It has nothing that really grabs me, well the last part of the titletrack is really powerful, but so far it has not been enough.

I cant even sit through one listening of this album, it bores me to death most of the time.
Some elements are better than ever, Vincent is doing an excellent job on vocals, drums are great with Cardoso taking over, love what he is doing on the title track, but too much electronics and discodrums on the last part of the album where some parts sounds like Cold Play ripoffs.
I cant really say that it is uninspired, they have new stuff going on but its just the way they write nowdays, its too simple and repetitive, some songs barely have riffs.
The track Anathema has some good old guitar melodies but it doesn't really get there and the solo has too much "jamming" in it and again... it gets a bit repetetive.
Buildups have always been a great part in their music making some powerful moments but now its just too much, every song has a simple little loop that keeps building with different instruments and stuff, but this philosophy of not forcing the music and all this talk about letting the music write itself etc is obviously slowly killing them for me, it has taken away a lot of what made them great, just write songs again damnit.

it's a great record, overall, but not nearly as close to god as the previous two.
Had this been released prior to "Here" and "Weather", it would likely be praised. But ANYTHING coming after those classics (each of which puts the Beatles to shame) can only be seen as a letdown.

woah, didn't know there were an anathema forum here (thx qth)

i haven't really gotten into the album, feels like it's missing something though. really loved the last two albums so i'm a bit disappointed. the lost song part 2 is prob my favourite at the moment

Something about the progression from Storm Before the Calm on Weather Systems to basically like half of Distant Satellites suggests the possibility that heavier use of electronic music might turn up on future releases... Pretty much just wild speculation though, I want psychic skills because I want to be like Kadabra and Alakazam.

i think danny should sing more btw, at least one or two songs on every album should at least feature a verse or two

Totally agree with this.. at the very least, should be doing more backups and harmonies live.. I don't get why he doesn't..

also, I've given a bit more time to Distant Satellites, and while I still kinda dig the first half of the album.. it really falls flat in the 2nd half.. big time. I'm not really getting why this album is generally getting very positive reviews.. while it's not horrible, it really pales in comparison from everything else they have ever done. I get that they're going for a more minimalist / less is more approach.. and that can definitely work.. but this one is just boring most of the way through. Sad, because this band had a remarkable streak of great albums.. but I guess that always happens with even the very best bands, eventually.

I agree, obviously.
I saw them live last wednsday in Stockholm and the new songs are great live, one of the best gigs i have "heard", amazing sound and performance, Cardoso hit them drums twice as hard as John. :D

I have been listening to Anathema a few years now I own everything from their Judgement CD to current Distant Satellites. Are the early years just as strong or is the direction more doom metal?

I cant even sit through one listening of this album, it bores me to death most of the time.

Me too. I've been a fan of Anathema in a big way since basically 1995, and I've actually really enjoyed parts of their last few albums, but 'Distant Satellites' is a bridge too far for me. It's so repetitive and the songs just don't move me like I know they're designed to. Those constant weird beats and the fact that most songs seem to start with a beat or melody (or repetitive plonking sounds) and stick with it for the duration without any changes - this would be fine if the original beat/melody was any good.

I'm actually glad to hear I'm not alone on this one because I presumed I was just getting old and impatient. I've tried and tried but I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't for me.

I have been listening to Anathema a few years now I own everything from their Judgement CD to current Distant Satellites. Are the early years just as strong or is the direction more doom metal?

I sincerely encourage you to pick up 'Alternative 4' which I believe is their masterpiece, and definitely check out 'Eternity' too. In fact these two albums are not just my favourite Anathema albums but two of my all time favourites from any band.

As for whether you'll enjoy 'The Silent Enigma' and 'Serenades', that will depend on if you like doom and dodgy vocals (Serenades).