DISTURBED Singer Never Understood Band Being Labeled 'Nu-Metal'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
DISTURBED frontman David Draiman told Music Connection that he doesn't understand why people keep putting the nu-metal label on his band. He explained: "The nu-metal thing I never got because we never rap, we've never had a turntable. All of the elements that are parts of being a nu-metal band were never part of what we did. But we came up at the same time as those guys were enjoying a tremendous amount of success so we got slapped with that label. If we had come up during the time [IRON] MAIDEN and [JUDAS] PRIEST were dominating things in the mid-'80s, I don't think there would be any question how we would be identified. At this point, I don't know that the label is all that important, but I know that there are plenty of bands — whether they’re rock, hard rock or metal — that explore new territory." Draiman also said that the change in direction on DISTURBED's seventh and latest studio LP, "Evolution", "felt so gratifying," adding, "We went with it and ended up producing material that is, in our opinion, some of the best stuff we've ever written. That's all you can try to do." Draiman told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that he wasn't even sure where his band fit into the modern metal scene. "I don't know that the metal that we were spawned from really exists anymore. Bands like IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, METALLICA, BLACK SABBATH, none of the bands which are called metal, or which are really referred to nowadays as metalcore, are really anything like these bands. So I don't even know that we fit in what is called metal today." "Evolution" came out last October and contains the rock radio singles "Are You Ready" and "A Reason To Fight". A North American headlining tour in support of the disc is now underway and next stops in Peoria, Illinois on Wednesday (January 30).

Continue reading...