DISTURBED's DAVID DRAIMAN 'Would Be Honored Beyond Words' To Sing U.S. National Anthem At...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
DISTURBED frontman David Draiman says that he "would be honored beyond words" if he could sing the U.S. national anthem at next year's Super Bowl. Super Bowl LIV will take place at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami on February 2, 2020. Once again, the Super Bowl halftime show will not feature a rock band in 2020. Jennifer Lopez and Shakira will perform at the event, celebrating the Hispanic heritage of the city where Super Bowl LIV will be held. Draiman told Loudwire about his "The Star-Spangled Banner" aspirations: "I've dreamt of doing it my entire life. Been rehearsing it since I was a little boy. "I love my country, and I would be honored beyond words to have the opportunity to try and inspire, strengthen, and give hope, at a time when we need those things more than ever," he continued. "Plus... it would be nice to have rock represented on SOME level at the Super Bowl, and to prove to everyone that there ARE rock singers out there who can do the anthem as much justice as ANY pop artists out there, and even possibly take it higher." Gladys Knight sang the national anthem at this year's Super Bowl, which was held in her hometown of Atlanta. The national anthem performance is a pre-game tradition which has sparked a polarizing debate over recent football seasons. In May 2018, the NFL mandated that all players must stand for the national anthem and if they didn't, teams could discipline them. However, ahead of the season, the NFL backed off the policy.

Continue reading...