Do comic book -> movie transitions work?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
What do you think? I've not yet seen The Hulk (which looks a bit 'dodgy' with all that CGI) or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (which looks excellent), but for the most part, the films end up being a bit shite don't they?

For me, I thought the following worked pretty well:

Superman 2: Easily the best of the bunch
The Crow: Brandon Lee was too cool for words, but it should have been more violent
X-Men 2: Better than the first, which in itself was also good
Spiderman: It was cool, but I didn't like the costume of the Green Goblin

The worst ones ever though: The Punisher (with Dolph Lundgren) and Judge Dredd (removing his mask!) - those were two films that should have been outstanding.

LXG looks awesome, I can't wait to see that.
I liked the first X-men, almost as good as the great cartoon. Haven't seen the second one yet.
Spiderman was the worst movie I've ever seen!!! Worse than Plan 9 but at least that one had its charm!!!

My favorite comic is Preacher, and there will allegedly someday be a movie, but I have very low hopes for it. Far too good of an experience to be ruined by anything less than a perfect film, doubt it would happen.

I'm glad that you mentioned Punisher, I found little relation to the comic.

How about the the Flash show in the late80's early 90's. Comical.
cast.jpg

How about Flash Gordon, was that comic made movie? Gave me that Impression. Oh well I always liked Flesh Gordon better.:D

Blade is a great comic made movie. Simply awesome!

Weapon X said:
How about Flash Gordon, was that comic made movie? Gave me that Impression. Oh well I always liked Flesh Gordon better.:D

Was Flash Gordon a comic? I dunno....we were talking about this movie a few weeks back....remember the Queen soundtrack!?

Blade is a great comic made movie. Simply awesome!

Good call!!! BUT, Blade II was better.

Do I remember Queen on the soundtrack, haha how could I not, my wife is obsessed with Queen.

Yeah you are right Blade II was even better than the first, but the first had those Girl Jap Rappers, that were exceptionally funny. :D

Blade owns, I liked both movies. I just love the opening with the first one when Traci Lords leads that dude to the underground vampire rave and the let blood rain from the sprinklers. RAINING BLOOD!!! FROM A LACERATED SPRINKLER... :D

NAD said:
Blade owns, I liked both movies. I just love the opening with the first one when Traci Lords leads that dude to the underground vampire rave and the let blood rain from the sprinklers. RAINING BLOOD!!! FROM A LACERATED SPRINKLER... :D

That was Tracii Lords!!?? You're right - incredible opening sequence. Perhaps a tiny bit better than the opening sequence of Blade II in Prague...dude, I agree, both Blade films rule!

You know what other opening sequence was good? X Men. To see Magneto as a child in the SS Concentation Camps...that was totally unexpected, and it set the precedence in that this was going to be a 'serious' movie. But then, this does come from the mastermind behind the greatest mystery/thriller movie of the last 20 years....THE USUAL SUSPECTS!

Yup, the Queen of Cock (But I'm an Actress Now) herself. Just by seeing her I knew it would be an awesome movie. I was hoping for tits, but lots of blood and gore was good enough. Saw that movie with this born again christian I dated for awhile, she hated it, and ALWAYS made comments about it. No taste in music either, dumb bitch. :D

Yeah that X-men opening was pretty good, I forgot about that one. I barely watched the first one a few months ago, I protested it because Glenn Danzig was originally supposed to play Wolverine. The woman loves that movie, I'll probably buy her the DVD and borrow it indefinitely. (Bonus points + DVD, haha.)

THE USUAL SUSPECTS oh man that is such a great movie. KEYSER SOZE!!!

NAD said:
Yup, the Queen of Cock (But I'm an Actress Now) herself.

Well, joining the cast of Melrose Place confirmed her scholar-like status no doubt.

Saw that movie with this born again christian I dated for awhile, she hated it, and ALWAYS made comments about it. No taste in music either, dumb bitch. :D

Did she hate it because she was a born again?

I protested it because Glenn Danzig was originally supposed to play Wolverine. The woman loves that movie, I'll probably buy her the DVD and borrow it indefinitely. (Bonus points + DVD, haha.)

I never new that! Thinking about it, he would look the part...but can he act? Hugh Jackman is cool. Did you ever see the episode of SNL with Jackman? It was hilarious (at a time when most SNL episodes suck horse dung).

THE USUAL SUSPECTS oh man that is such a great movie. KEYSER SOZE!!!
Yeah it wasn't bad I guess....muwahahahaha. :devil: It's a modern classic - needs to be ranked alongside Hitchcock at his best.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was making the world believe he didn't exist". :worship:

JayKeeley said:
Did she hate it because she was a born again?
Probably. She was against anything that wasn't explicitely stated and ok'd by her church or bible, including anything having to do with fantasy. I remember growing up there was a kid I hung out with who was part of a reborner family, I brought over a video game once (Astyanax, AWESOME GAME!!!) and his mom didn't like it because it had magic. I guess you're not allowed to have any fun if you choose that route. :Smug:
JayKeeley said:
I never new that! Thinking about it, he would look the part...but can he act? Hugh Jackman is cool. Did you ever see the episode of SNL with Jackman? It was hilarious (at a time when most SNL episodes suck horse dung).
Yeah he was perfect for the role. He was in that Christopher Walken movie... uhhh... the one where he's the devil or something... Prophecy I believe. He had 1/2 a line and then died, pretty good acting! :loco: Didn't see the SNL, that show has sucked for a long time now.

Oh yeah, I guess that Preacher is in pre-production right now, somebody from the X-men movie will play Jesse Custer. I implore everyone to read that comic, or at least check out http://www.neonwheels.com/preacher/index.shtml Religion, booze, vampires, Texas, love, and even John Wayne all wrapped up into one amazing story!

The greatest book cover ever done:
endof.jpg

The Prophecy was pretty cool - Eric Stoltz was in that right?

I don't remember Danzig being in it though - but then it sounds similar to the role Jon Bon Jovi had in Young Guns II....remember that one? :D

OK so where do I begin with Preacher? What's the first graphic novel to get?

Yeah, Danzig was in the movie for 30 seconds. My mom rented it some years back and said "hey, is this Danzig? Whoops, he's dead." :lol:

I started with Until the End of the World which is the second TPB (issues 7-14 I believe), but the first one is Gone To Texas. If you like Gone to Texas in any small way you'll love the series, the characters and story really didn't develop fully until later in the series. It's by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, might know him from Hellblazer, the Punisher, and other stuff. I need to start reading the Sandman now... been borrowing one from a friend for about 6 years now. :)

EDIT: What happened??? I had something about Bon Jovi too, it disappeared! I'll have to watch YGII again, didn't catch him the first time around (which was only last week! :D ).

So did anyone end up seeing The Hulk or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I haven't seen them yet - and they got horrible reviews.

I will say, though, I thought Daredevil was just terrible. I can't believe Affleck went from Good Will Hunting and Chasing Amy to Daredevil and Giggly Gigli.

I need to get some Preacher this weekend.

Yes you do. Get some bourbon for good measure, I drank myself silly the last time I re-read Preacher.

The Hulk is just terrible, I hated it more than Daredevil and that's sayin alot.

LXG is horrible too, not as bad as the Hulk or Daredevil, but still very poor indeed. The Camera work was pretty well done, but the plot was predictable and uninteresting.

I mostly like both the movies and the cartoons, but after having read a comic (same goes for books) and watching the movie, you have to forget all about background, details etc. since it 'doesn't fit' in the movie or the moviemakers get it all wrong... But on the whole i like it. Judge dredd, Hulk and Spiderman are all great movies, but the cartoon I above all want to see as a movie - LOBO!

Shame that LXG turned out bad. It was a great premise, and the comic is great. I thought they cast it well too...oh well.

I think Judge Dredd was unfairly dismissed. I agree that Stallone shouldn't have removed the headgear, and they could have made it less humorous, but overall it's a movie I can watch all the way through (unlike Daredevil). I think Dianne Lane is a babe too.

Don't forget Hellboy: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/hellboy/hellsite/