Do we mistake lack of talent for genius?

Maelstrom

Metal is the Law!
Jan 27, 2002
Adelaide
www.theharrowed.com
I think that we sometimes fall into the trap of giving bands to much credit. I know when I was studying English, the way we interpreted poetry made it seem as though we we're giving a lot of the writers credit for ideas that they may not have intended.

Do we do this to bands? I think that maybe we do.

I know someone was telling me about the depth of the lyrics that I write, and they made them sound far more impressive than I ever thought that they were.

Any thoughts similar or bands that you'd nominate as over-rated.

One that comes to my mind is Meshuggah. Everytime I hear a song I spend the first minute thinking how cool it is, the second minute getting slightly irritated with it, and the remainder wishing it would hurry the f**k up and finish. Maybe it's me who's lacking the understanding to appreciate it, maybe I'm completely losing the point of this entire thread?

Thoughts?

I'd never thought of this, but yeah, you're completely right,

Daysend for instance, so many people love them, and say they are musically impressive, they are fuckin bog standard musically and the vocalist sucks.

Lyrics wise, bands like Opeth, Amorphis and Anathema are overated, I love all those bands but they they have lyrics that are so general they can be interpreted in many ways.

:lol: your right about Meshuggah

I think far too many bands concentrate on technicallity and a lot do play very good songs but they´re missing one of the most important things: the spirit and FEELING in the music. At least those are important things for me when it comes to listening to albums. Going through the motions and making great songs is useless if there is no emotion or Metal spirit behind it.